A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cracked-out 80's Barbie

I love the 80's. I sometimes feel like I was born too late. I wear a ton of makeup to work among women who barely put on a bit of mascara. Back in the 80's, it seems like wearing tons of makeup for daytime was de rigeur (or not, I wasn't really there to see it!) Anyway, I like to fantasize about being one of the first power career women wearing the suits with shoulder pads and enough makeup to sink a freakin' ship. Today's particular makeup look does not reflect the career woman of the 80's, however. When I see teal/turquoise eyes with bright pink lips it screams "cracked out 80's Barbie" to me. Not really a look that we want to wear to work now, is it?

Face: MAC Prep + Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Powder in NC15.

Eyes: I used a shade from my "Coastal Scents" 88 colour shimmer eyeshadow palette. These palettes are a generic palette that various companies print their brand on and sell them so they are available from various places, I just happened to get mine from Coastal Scents. I used E7 on the inner corner of the lid and blended it in to one of my own eyeshadows that I mixed up with various micas and glitters from TKB - a sparkly teal that I like to call Xenobiotic. The pictures don't show off the true sparkaliciousness of it. For the outer corner, I used 3 of the Jane Cosmetics palette, which is black with fine silver glitter. In the crease I blended 2 from the Jane Cosmetics palette. I use this palette all the time because it has some great silver shades in it and it is really easy to create a nice smokey eye for the evening with these colours. It was quite inexpensive and if I remember correctly, I think I got it from the cosmetics section at Superstore. I haven't seen anything from this particular brand anywhere recently so I am not sure where/if you can get anything from Jane Cosmetics. I used an Annabelle Khol pencil in white on the waterline and Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Oil Slick on my bottom lashline. Maybelline The Falsies Mascara in Black was used on the upper and lower lashes. And, as always, Maybelline Liquid Eyeliner in black was used liberally on the upper lashline.

False Eyelashes: I used Makeup Forever false lashes in 121 Gina. I do not enjoy the rubber strip on these lashes as it is quite large and noticeable and I find that it is so heavy that it eventually detaches from my eye if I wear them out for the evening. As you can see in a couple of the pictures, they are starting to make a break for it! Poor cracked out 80's Barbie, she can't even apply her false eyelashes properly! EPIC FAIL! I use Duo Eyelash Adhesive in Dark Tone as it dries black which goes well with my signatrue liquid black eyeliner.

Cheeks: Nars blush in Desire was applied with a cracked-out heavy hand. This blush can be quite nice for daytime wear if applied in a subtle manner.

Lips: Urban Decay 24/7 lip liner in Ozone was used along with Kat von D painted love lipstick in Backstage Bambi. To hide my horrifyingly dry lips, I used Stila Lip Glaze in Pinkle Twinkle which is pink and.....twinkle-y....over top. I love the gloss but I HATE the name. Pinkle freakin' Twinkle? Seriously?????

THE EQUIPMENT

THE PALETTES:
Jane Cosmetics Metallic Eye Zing Carry Along in 13 Chicago


Coastal Scents 88 Colour Shimmer Eyeshadow Palette


THE SWATCHES:
From the top: Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick in Backstage Bambi (left), Stila Lip Glaze in Pinkle Twinkle, 88 Palette E7, Xenobiotic, 2 from Jane Cosmetics Palette, and 3 from Jane Cosmetics Palette.


THE DRY LIPS of DEATH!!


THE EYES






THE LOOK


This is me being cracked out......



.....actually I unintentionally look a little bit "high on life" in this picture too....


No comments:

Post a Comment