A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dior 5 Colour Night Butterfly Palette Review

Confession: I've been a makeup blog lurker for YEARS. One of the things that I noticed on several blogs in the past were people who raved over Dior's 5 colour eyeshadow palettes. So naturally, I had to have one of my own! Since they are fairly pricey, I waited until one came out that I REALLY liked. Sometime in 2009 (I think) the Night Butterfly quint was released and I knew it was the one for me, both from the name (I have a thing for butterflies) and the nice purple, grey, burgundy, and black colours! I felt that these colours would be quite nice for someone with brown eyes. I know this palette isn't exactly new and has likely been reviewed a thousand times, but I wanted to share my thoughts on it anyway as I was somewhat disappointed in it.....

THE GOOD: The colours in this palette are awesome. There is a matte light lavendar, a matte-ish grey, a shimmery medium purple, a shimmery jewel-toned burgundy, and a sparkly black. The colours look great together and are all very nice for enhancing brown eyes! Being that there are 5 colours of eyeshadow, this palette is quite versatile. One can make both daytime and evening looks as well as simple and complex looks. A couple of the eyeshadows could be blended together or all 5 could be used which makes for endless combinations of looks that could be made. The packaging is also quite nice.

THE BAD: These palettes are quite pricey and cost approximately $60 Canadian. However, you get 5 eyeshadows for the price so it is not completely unreasonable. You can get palettes with several eyeshadow shades from various companies for a lot less though. Being that Dior is a high end brand and considering the price of the palette, I was rather irritated to discover that the eyeshadows had a rather chalky texture and appear to not be of great quality.

THE UGLY: THESE. SHADOWS. CREASE. Oh my f#$%, I can't stand it!! Almost ANY other brand of eyeshadow that I own (and I have tried out quite a few, let me tell you), I wear over top of UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. I can go to work for 9 hours and then go to the gym for over an hour and NO OTHER BRAND OF EYESHADOW that I own will be creased after that. Just as a disclaimer, I have really oily skin and after approximately 12 hours or so, any eyeshadow over any primer I wear will have creased a bit. THESE, however, crease after only a few hours and not just when I am sweating at the gym. In my opinion, this is RIDICULOUS because it is a high end brand and the eyeshadows are pricey.

THE VERDICT: As much as I like the packaging, versatility, and colour co-ordination of Dior's 5-colour palettes, the fact that the shadows are poor quality and crease quickly despite the use of eye primer make them not worth the price. I would not purchase one again.

THE PALETTE


THE SWATCHES

From top to bottom: top right in palette, bottom left, centre diamond, bottom right, and top left.



Here's a look I did using all 5 shadows in the palette among other things....

FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

CHEEKS: MAC Coygirl blush.

BROWS: Annabelle Brow Pencil in Medium Brown.

EYES: UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre were used to prepare the eyes (not that it matters as it doesn't help). The light lavender shadow was used on the inner lid and in the inner corner of the eye. It was also lightly applied to the brow bone. The grey shadow was blended in into the lavendar shade in the inner lid and then the grey shadow was blended into the burgundy shadow in the middle of the lid. The black shadow was used on the outer V and the purple shadow was used on the outer lower lashline. Maybelline liquid eyeliner in black was applied to the upper lashline and Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Zero was applied to the waterline. Maybelline The Colossal Mascara in Black was used on upper and lower lashes.

LIPS: MAC Lavendar Whip lipstick was used with Lancome Colour Fever Gloss in Piha Black layered over it.

THE EQUIPMENT


LIP SWATCHES
From top to bottom: MAC Lavendar Whip, Lancome Colour Fever Gloss in Piha Black, and MAC Lavendar Whip with Piha Black over top of it.

THE LIPS

THE EYES


THE LOOK


No comments:

Post a Comment