A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Stila Trendsetting in Tokyo Travel Girl Palette

A while back, I had a post about the Stila Make an impression in Moscow Travel Girl Palette. I also purchased the Trendsetting in Tokyo palette as well because when I finally graduate from school (I am done classes now and am on practical experience type of things until April) I will have a job that requires me to be on the road quite a bit for the first year or so. I think these will be great to bring along with me on my travels! Here is a quick review and a look!

The Good: The palettes are only $13 which is a great value for something you can make several looks out of. The eyeshadows in this palette are fairly versatile in that they could be used for a neutral subtle look or something a bit more obnoxious. The convertible colour is great because you can use it on both the cheeks and the lips! Also, it's easy to bring along with you in your purse when going out or on the road! I am fond of the super cute packaging and the built in mirror as well.

The Bad: I just noticed that on the inside of the palette there are some little "inspirational" quotes from someone that I have no idea who the h#!% they are. The Make an Impression in Moscow one has a quote too. I think this is kind of fruity as I am kind of an @$$ and am not big on inspirational happy sappy garbage (I DO hail from the planet Vulcan, you know). Also, I feel it is highly illogical to name one of the eyeshadows with a symbol or picture or icon or whatever (the back of the box has the colour names and the black eyeshadow just has a hand making a peace sign symbol on it). I think they were trying to be cute but I think it is just silly. The convertible colour also tends to get rather messy after you use it several times.

The UGLY: Three of the four eyeshadows are CHALKY as F#$%! Shibuya (blue one) is the worst followed by "Hand Making a Peace Sign Symbol" (black with multicolour sparkles one) with kawai (pink one) being only somewhat chalky.

The Verdict: This is a versatile and portable palette with nice packaging. It is a great value but be aware that some of the shadows are chalky (which is not true AT ALL of Stila's full size shadows) and difficult to blend.

THE PALETTE

THE QUOTE: "Things astonish us when we travel, that surprise nobody else." -Miriam Beard. Well, thank you Captain Obvious! Also, please feel free to learn how to use a comma correctly.


THE SWATCHES:
From left to right: Convertible Colour -Sakura, Sake, Kawai, Shibuya, and "Hand Making a Peace Sign Symbol"



I did the following look using this palette.

Face: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15, MAC Select Sheer pressed powder in NC15.

Cheeks: Stila Convertible Colour in Sakura....it didn't show up very well in the pictures for some reason.

Brows: Annabelle eybrow pencil in Medium Brown.

Eyes: Eyes were prepped with UDPP and MAC paint pot in Soft Ochre. Sake was applied to the inner corner of the eye and blended into Kawai in the middle of the lid. "Hand Making a Peace Sign Symbol" was applied in the outer V and blended into Kawai. Shibuya was applied in the crease but was not blended into other shadows. Sake was also used on the browbone. Maybelline Liquid eyeliner in Black was used on the upper lash line and Geisha Ink liner pen in black was used on the lower lashline. Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Zero was applied to the waterline. Maybelline the Falsies Mascara was used on the upper and lower lashes.

Lips: Sakura Convertible Colour.
THE EQUIPMENT

THE EYES




THE LIPS


THE LOOK

1 comment:

  1. Yes I agree the shadows suck :( and the quote is stupid but you did a good job with the makeup! I also have to use UD primer before I apply those eyeshadows.
    Btw, on a side note: Hand Making a Peace Sign Symbol.. is not really making a peace sign lol, the hand is making a "victory" symbol cause it's "asian".

    ReplyDelete