A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Avon Onyx Lustre Collection: Onyx Quartz Eyeshadow Trio and Night Violet Lipgloss

Today we shall look at some of the few things that caught my eye while looking through a recent Avon catalogue.........eyeshadow trios and tri-colour lipgloss from the Onyx Lustre collection! This post will have swatches of the Night Violet lipgloss and the Onyx Quartz eyeshadow trio.

THE GOOD: These were on for a great price when I got them, the eyeshadow trios were about $6 Canadian and the lipgloss was about $4 Canadian. You really can't go wrong with those prices!I love the colours in bothe of the trios as they are quite conducive to making both a smokey eye for an evening out or a more neutral daytime look. The colours were buildable so you could use them for a more sheer wash of colour or darken them to your taste. I like the compacts as they are portable and the little sponge compartment is quite convenient! (Makeup blasphemy and technique heresy alert!! I often use sponges to apply my eyeshadow rather than brushes because my brush technique is atrocious! Don't tell anyone!)

THE BAD: I found that the shadow in the Onyx Quartz trio had a fairly nice texture but that it did not blend particularly well, even when I used a proper blending brush! This is very odd since the other trio (Midnight Lustre trio which shall be swatched in my next post) seemed to have a better texture and blended very nicely. Odd.

THE VERDICT: These little compacts are convenient, portable, filled with pretty colours, and were a great price! I can see myself using these quite frequently as they can be used to create both professional daytime looks for work and evening looks as well.

THE PACKAGING


Right: Onyx Quartz trio.
Left: Midnight Lustre trio.


As mentioned above, I also tried out the Night Violet tri-colour lipgloss.

THE GOOD: I love the colour of this gloss! It applied evenly and tri-colour glosses look COOL and please me greatly! It isn't really long wearing per se, but I felt that it wore quite well for a lipgloss.

THE BAD: The texture of the gloss is a little bit sticky which can be slightly annoying.

THE VERDICT: Overall, I love the colour, the gloss looks pretty, and it was a great price!

Night Violet Lipgloss


THE SWATCHES:
From left to right: Night Violet lipgloss, and the three eyeshadows from the Onyx Quartz trio.



Here's a look I put together using my the Onyx Quartz trio and Night Violet lipgloss.

FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

BROWS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud.

CHEEKS: MAC blush in Coygirl.

LIPS: Avon Night Violet Lipgloss.

EYES: Eyes were prepped with UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. The three shadows from the Onyx Quartz trio were blended from lightest to darkest from the inner lid to the outer V. The lightest shade was also used under the brow. Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Zero was used on the waterline and Maybelline Black Liquid Eyeliner was used on the upper lashline. Maybelline The Falsies Black Drama Mascara was used on upper and lower lashes.

THE EQUIPMENT


THE EYES







THE LIPS


THE LOOK

5 comments:

  1. That layered gloss looks really cool!

    --VijiiS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reviewing these, I had been wondering about them for awhile! And you are super pretty!:) PS, I tried googling your blog, and the first thing that popped up was 'Save the Vulcan Hotel.' I was confused! Haha. Oh and love your 'About me', you had me laughing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great look, and I love the lip gloss! It looks like a really versatile color, and I like the layered thing. I wonder if it stays like that or eventually gets kind of mixed up... I bet that would be a cool process to watch, if it does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the lipgloss and it gets all mixed up after a while

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was wondering if you had the original photo for this makeup!

    ReplyDelete