A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Evil Shades Pinup Girl Collection Review, Swatches, and Look

A couple of days ago, I got my Evil Shades order in the mail which included, among other things, the Pinup Girls Collection sample set! I ordered a full size of the Silk Stockings lipstick because I liked how it looked in swatches that I had seen. Here are my thoughts on the collection and a look I put together using some of the eyeshadows from the collection.

THE GOOD: I have ordered from Evil Shades before, and there have never been any customer service related problems. Ordering is easy, and you get your packaged shipped in a reasonable amount of time (FYI: it takes awhile longer for Canadian customers but this is not the fault of the company, obviously). My orders have always been sent in a cute wrapper and I have always received samples with my order; this time I got two blush samples which was really nice. Most of the eyeshadows had a smooth texture and the ones that I tried on my eyes applied smoothly and blended nicely. They also wore very well throughout the day. The lipstick I ordered is fantastic. I love the colour of Silk Stockings which is a nice nude with a blue sheen. It is extremely wearable but a bit different as well. It has a fantastic texture and applies beautifully. I found that it was quite long wearing as well and even a bit moisturizing! NICE!

THE BAD: I really must say that I did not enjoy the packaging of the lipstick. It comes in a chapstick-like tube and for some reason, this turns me off. It doesn't affect how the product works but I personally enjoy fancy packaging so this is just one of my own little dislikes. I also don't like the labelling of the products. Some of them were smudged when I got them and they tend to not do well near water.......which is not good for me as my makeup application is solely done in my bathroom as my current apartment is TINY! Another thing I noticed, which I also found with my previous Evil Shades order, was that there are often small unblended chunks of mica/ingredients in the samples. Once again, it didn't really affect the product's application in this case, but it is something I don't like to see when I have paid for a product. Another thing that I didn't like is how the collection was named "Pinup Girls"........ not many of the eyeshadows are really conducive to making a pinup-type makeup look.

THE UGLY: I do not know what is up with this, but something about the texture of the eyeshadow Wiggle Dress is a bit off. My sample was chunky and moist and it applied very poorly with quite a bit of glitter fallout when swatching it on my arm. I don't know if I could even use it as an eyeshadow.......I will try it out on my eyes or maybe try it as an eyeliner and post the results later.

THE VERDICT: This sample set was a great value and the full size lipstick was a good price too. Most of the eyeshadows were smooth, blendable, and long wearing. The lipstick formulation is great and it wears extremely well. The packaging is not my favourite but overall I enjoy most of the eyeshadow colours and love the lipstick!

THE PACKAGING


THE COLLECTION


THE SWATCHES
From left to right: Wiggle Dress, Whisper, Bombshell, Pencil Skirt, Vavavoom, Sweater Girl, CC41, and Wink.


Silk Stockings Lipstick - revel in its delicious blue sheen!


Here is a look I put together using some of the eyeshadows and the lipstick from this collection.

FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

BROWS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud.

CHEEKS: Evil Shades Blush in Daydream.

LIPS: Evil Shades Lipstick in Silk Stockings.

EYES: Eyes were prepped with UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. Bombshell eyeshadow was applied to the inner lid an blended into Whisper which was blended into Pencil Skirt in the outer V. The waterline was lined with Annabelle Eye Kohl in White and the lower lashline was lined with the Barbie Loves Stila Smudgepot in Cobalt Clutch. The upper lashline was lined with Maybelline Black Liquid Eyeliner. Medusa's Makeup Mascara in Blue Blood was used on the lower lashes and Maybelline The Falsies Mascara was used on the upper lashes.

THE EQUIPMENT


THE LIPS


THE EYES





THE LOOK


5 comments:

  1. I love this look, and you're so friggin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're definitely right about the name of the collection. Most of them don't look that Pinup Girl-y to me. Still pretty though! =]

    --VijiiS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered Silk Stockings! I really wanted to try a nude from ES so I got that and Primrose Path. Even though they're not pin-uppy colours, I think its a cute name for a collection. Like a wiggle dress isn't a colour, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your thick line of eyeliner. Most makeup bloggers are all about the super thin eyeliner line, that is a bad look on me, and I think a thicker line is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally? I think you'd be muuuch more beautifull WITHOUT that crappy chin decor, dear. Just my opinion. You asked. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete