A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Friday, February 25, 2011

Getting in $#!t at Work for Wearing Too Much Eyeshadow:The Avon Midnight Lustre Trio

Let me start out here by giving you some background about myself. Ever since highschool (which was quite some time ago for me), I always enjoyed screwing around with my appearance and trying different things. I liked to dress in a "unique" manner, you might say. I used to dye my hair various unnatural colours, I have a lot of piercings, and I wore clothes that would fit into the goth/punk kind of style. This continued until I went away to university. I worked on an honours degree in microbiology and biochemistry for four years and worked in various labs along the way. When one works in a lab, one does not work with the public so one can dress however one wants, so I continued to dress as I always had. It also worked to my advantage in a way as I did well in school and my professors remembered me. Anyway, I had always flirted with the idea of applying to a certain "professional" college that would allow me to get a degree in a certain health care field in which you would be required to work with the public. I was never much of a people person, but I found that working alone in labs was not fulfilling and I didn't think I would get in to this particular college if I applied. I finally did apply four years ago and got in! This victory was bittersweet, however. It meant that I had to grow my ass up, wash out the hair dye, wear NEUTRAL makeup (I nearly died), scrape off the black eyeliner, wear proper clothing, and try to hide the piercings/tattoos (these things are all FROWNED upon in my particular field). The people I go to school with are all rather conservative and even when I started and had toned it WAYYYYYYY down I still stuck out like a sore thumb. I cut my hair shorter to hide my earrings and overall I have now found a style that incorporates some elements of punk/goth while being professional and sophisticated. (I still wear my gothy punky stuff when I'm not at work/school to concerts/goth clubs, etc.) ANYWAY, the company for which I will be working when I am done is fine with my slightly different style as they feel I am professional. At my unpaid internship (we must do several of these in order to become licensed), my "boss" made me take out my labret piercing as it is "unprofessional" and told me I was wearing "WAY TOO MUCH EYESHADOW." Check out my "WAY TOO MUCH EYESHADOW" look below. I thought it was quite a nice look for my first day.........

For this look, I used the Avon Midnight Lustre trio which is on the right.

See review here for my general thoughts on these trios.



THE SWATCHES




FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

BROWS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud.

CHEEKS: "Old Faithful" (Smashbox Double Take Colour Kit Fusion Cheek Colour)

LIPS: Smashbox Double Take Lipgloss in Fabulous (the darker one).

EYES: Eyes were prepped with UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre. The lightest to the darkest shadows were blended across the eye. Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Perversion was used on the waterline (it's my new waterline go-to, it's MUCH better than Zero!) and Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Baked was used on the lower lashline. On the upper lashline, Maybelline Liquid Black Eyeliner was used. Maybelline The Falsies Mascara was used on upper and lower lashes.

THE EQUIPMENT

THE EYES





THE LIPS


THE LOOK



MY FROWNING FACE AFTER BEING TOLD THAT I HAVE TOO MUCH EYESHADOW ON:


THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH EYESHADOW! BLASPHEMY!

Argh, I really love what I will soon be licensed to do, but sometimes I wish I didn't have such a safe, conservative, boring person's job so I could express myself through my looks. I am a very conservative person in many ways myself, and my clothes and makeup were always kind of my outlet. Good thing I have this blog where I can screw around with makeup and no one from my profession can see me!

8 comments:

  1. "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH EYESHADOW! BLASPHEMY!" Never have I agreed with any statement more. How very rude of your boss.

    -VijiiS

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is no such thing as too much eyeshadow! I wish we could all wear what we wanted without being "frowned upon." And your labret piercing is cute and really not that noticeable at all. Meh, what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at a college bookstore and spend all my time reading and writing by myself. I can wear whatever the f*** I want, for now... Believe me, I appreciate the luxury of being a grad student in the Humanities and working on a University campus in one of the most liberal cities in the U.S... Hang in there! I'm sure you'll find a happy medium.

    p.s., totally cute look, your boss obviously has NO appreciation for personal style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whaaat? Check your contract or employee handbook or whatnot. If there's nothing saying how much too much is I don't think they can say anything! People are so boring. Makeup/labret is NOT the same as having 'fuck you' tattooed across your wrists or, gasp, not being able to do your job! Anyway I think you look beautiful. And I LOVED your look for Makeup Zombie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMg first off your hair is HOTTT I must say..Mine is some what similar although I can never get it to look like that. ( MY hair dresser can- she is a miracle worker I swear
    And your eyeshadow..I honestly DONT think its too much..Not sure exactly what type of place u work at as I just started reading your blog. I do however think that your boss shouldnt have said that. If anything your eyeshadow looks classy and stands out in a good way..so watever

    By the way I am Andrea, a new follower. I liked your blog. My blog is just a random mix of everything. I do reviews and giveaways and beauty related stuff. I need to find more of a focus for it. But check it out.
    http://dreasblog8685.blogspot.com/

    Xo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look stunning, i love your hair. I dread the day i have to get a new job (which is waaay overdue), it's wigs all the way for me! Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I just found your blog and couldn't resist to comment; I think you look great and I find your look completely work appropriate.

    You should have seen my frown when they made me remove my nostril piece, luckily they'll never know what's on my ears under all that hair and apparently they don't care much about makeup (the red eyeshadow that I wore today can prove that).

    I guess if the job is worth it and doesn't suck away your life you can pretend to become a suit from nine to five and then do everything that you like (that's what I say to myself everyday, sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is totally adotable look :)

    ReplyDelete