A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Evil Shades Blush: All 13 Shades in Action!

I love reading makeup blogs, and in doing so, I see A LOT of swatches! I love looking at other people's swatches because it helps me pick stuff out that I can't try first like things you order over the internet. The one thing about swatches that I DON'T like is the fact that a lipstick, blush, or eyeshadow swatched on the arm does little to show what it will actually look like in action! I like when people do lip swatches or show how the eyeshadow wears by using it in a look. It is especially difficult to compare a blush swatch to how it might look on the cheeks as it may be swatched rather heavily on the arm (or wherever) but it may be blended out when actually used. I decided to do this post so you can see how all of the Evil Shades blushes look on! For reference, my skin is cool with yellow undertones (NC15 in MAC foundation). Also, I will comment a bit further on the blushes themselves as when I initially reviewed them, I had only tried them on my arm! Enjoy!


Also, there are links to all of the original "look" posts in case anyone wants to know what other products were used.

ATOMIC

This colour is so unique and super awesome! It is a bright neon orange and it has a really neat blue shift! It would be perfect for cyber goths and ravers! It is also great for spring if you want to be trendy, orange lips, nails, blush, and eyeshadow are super trendy right now! Another thought I had about this blush is that it just might look superb as an eyeshadow (I haven't gone there yet but I will eventually).



This colour is a mauve blush that turns rosier when you blend it/rub it in. I think it would look great on warmer, darker skin tones.

BACKTALK

This blush is BRIGHT! It is an in your face bright fuschia pink! For light skinned ladies, it is important to note that a little goes a long way! It would also be good for darker skinned ladies as it is highly pigmented.



This blush is a pink-based radiantly bright red! Pale skinned ladies should use a light hand with this one and being that it is quite pigmented it would show up nicely on dark skintones. It is a great shade for any of you glitter goth zombies out there!



This particular shade is one of my favourites. I think it was very flattering on my skintone. Actually, I think this is one of those universally flattering blushes that would look good on almost anyone.


CHINA DOLL

This is a bubblegum pink blush that is much brighter than it looks in the picture but can be applied lightly for a more subtle glow. I think it would look nice on someone with light skin with pink undertones.



This blush is another one of my favourites as I felt it was flattering on my skintone. It is a light colour so it may be better for fairer skinned ladies. It's neutral (which is good because you can wear it with almost any kind of look) but unique so it isn't boring! It has a nice shiny finish and it's great for vampy pinup girls or for career women who have to tone it down at work!

DAY DREAM AGAIN!


GOSSAMER

I have seen a few bloggers rant and rave about Gossamer's lovely duochrome. I must admit, it is a fabulous true pink colour with a bit of a lavendar duochrome which I adore as pink and purple together is very pretty in my opinion. However, I found this blush to be excessively shiny and made my skin look oilier after awhile. I think that it would be more flattering on someone with non-oily skin.

LOVE BITES

I. LOVE. THIS. COLOUR. It is a deliciously bright orangey peach shade. This colour would be flattering on both light and dark skin. I think it would look just delicous on a dark toned lady with golden/orange undertones! Anyway, lighter skinned ladies may want to avoid this colour for events that require one to be toned down as it is very striking.

PIN UP

This colour is really nice for evening looks and would look just excellent on darker skinned ladies as it is quite pigmented. For the fair-skinned, it can be applied lightly. I felt that the warmth of this blush was a nice contrast to my cool skin tone but I feel it would look even better on a warmer toned person.


Ravishing is another great trendy orange blush for striking spring looks! Orange is so hot right now! Someone had asked me in the comments what brand my necklace is. To be honest, I have no idea. I got it in a small clothing store and there was only two of them and they had no tag or brand on them.


SKON

Oh my, how I adore this colour! It is just sooooo goth! It makes you look like you have freshly bruised cheeks! This makes it sound like it is ugly, but it is not! It would probably not work very well for everyday use on lighter skinned girls as it is really dark and most people do not try to look goth/bruised very often. It looks WAY lighter in the pictures than it does in real life. I think it would look really great on a darker skinned lady with blue undertones.


SKON AGAIN! WITH SKETCHY GYM HAIR!


This colour is a super vampy dark red based purple. It would look fabulous on warm toned dark skinned ladies and it makes for a very striking contour on lighter skinned ones. It isn't really a blush that can be sheered out.

Just so you know, my recommendations are my own opinion. I am in no way trained in the use of makeup and I really have no idea what I am talking about in regards to skintone, undertones, etc. I like to try out all colours of makeup whether they are suited to my skintone or not and I think you should too! Following the "rules" of makeup is very boring and you never know what can happen when you break the rules. For example, I learned something new by reading Vijii of Fierce Nerditude's review of MAC blush in Pink Cult. I had always previously thought that only darker and more pigmented blushes would work on deeper skintones but her post shows very clearly that a pale blush can look just fabulous in this case! Also, I said that the blushes above would look good on various types of LADIES. I personally don't think that makeup should be restricted to any particular gender so don't take it that way! In a nutshell, what I'm saying here is that I'm full of s##t and you should completely ignore my recommendations and start slapping on the blush whether you are male or female or dark or light or warm toned or cool toned! Have a glowing weekend!

11 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! I loved seeing all the blushes and also all the looks you did! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your style! You rock each of those blushes SO well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am now officially craving about half of these... Especially Vixen! It looks great with the dark red lip, which is NOT easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks so much. I'm now officially lusting after all of them. xP

    -Vijaya
    Fierce Nerditude

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I like the idea of summarizing the looks you did with each blush in one post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful!! I do think I'll grab a Day Dream. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an excelent way of showing each color, thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Errr, this is an AWESOME post! Thanks a bunch for this one, great reference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you mind if I post a link to this post on the website?
    You are amazing in showing each shade in such a "put together" manner!
    P.S. Try dusting Gossamer over China Doll, very lightly and you'll get the duo-tone without the oh hey I just ran 5 miles look. :o)

    ReplyDelete