A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Morgana Cryptoria 2011 Lipstick Collection Swatches

Well I got something exciting in the mail this Wednesday......my Morgana Cryptoria order arrived! YAY! When I opened up the package and saw all the goodness, I knew I had my work cut out for me! It was LIP SWATCHING TIME!!!
THE HAUL

I ordered the sample set of the full 2011 lipstick collection so I could pick my favourites. I also ordered Coraline's Kiss in full size because I had seen The Makeup Zombie wearing it in a bunch of her looks and it is such a great colour! I also ordered a full size of one of the new lipsticks that I was sure that I wanted. I got Gilded Lime so that I would have a colour to go with my DANE dress! On various occasions upon which I visited goth clubs or attended goth events, I would dress up in my DANE dress and do bright neon green makeup. I tried various lip pencil and gloss combos on my lips but could never find anything that produced an opaque green colour (this was long before I was introduced to independent makeup companies!) Now, I have found the perfect shade!

For those of you who do not dabble in cybergothery and thus have no idea what I am talking about, there is an old skool picture of me from 2008 below wearing my DANE dress (not to mention some broken sunglasses I found in the parking lot....I'm special). DANE is a clothing company from the UK that makes various items of UV-reactive clothing with black and silver prints on them that react to flash photography and look really shiny, as you can see in the picture below! Anyway, I picked this picture from 2008 rather than a more recent one because reading this post reminded me that I ALSO had a picture of myself with Cyberlox up my nose somewhere. It comforts me to know that I am not the only one who thought to do this.

I am not going to review the lipsticks in this post because I have reviewed them before (click to see old swatches and review) and my thoughts have not changed much. In a nutshell, I love these lipsticks and the formulation is superb. There are no scents in any of these while many of the previous shades were scented. The samples came in clamshells which works quite well for lipstick samples and is preferable to baggies in my opinion. It was easy to pick up the lip colour with a brush from the clamshells. Some of the lipsticks had different consistencies than others and I will point that out below. One more thing: there were a few "issues" with some of these lipsticks and also with some from the older collections. Please see my safety alert post for more information.

THE ARM SWATCHES

From left to right: Gilded Lime, Violet Banana, Sunset Peach, Tangerine Twist, Very Strawberry, Gilded Cerise.


From left to right: Shifting Violet, Plumeria, Enchanted Sapphire, Fire in the Sky, Enchanted Emerald, Brilliant Lime.


From left to right: Gilded Ballerina, Roses and Violets, Dianthus, Plum Crazy, Blackberry, Amethyst.


From left to right: Coraline's Kiss (not part of 2011 lipsticks), Clay Bakin', Gilded Brown, Platinum Chocolate, Mocha Blast, Lust After Midnight.

And now, on to the lip swatches! I have provided commentary regarding the lipsticks where I felt it necessary. Overall, the colour descriptions and pictures on the website are pretty accurate.

Gilded Cerise
This is a true red with a golden sheen; it's more pink toned compared to Very Strawberry.

Very Strawberry
It is more orange-based than Gilded Cerise and does not have the golden sheen.

Tangerine Twist
A great orange shade for spring!

Sunset Peach
This one is way darker and oranger than the picture on the website.

Violet Banana
This one is supposed to have a violet sheen but I couldn't really see it...

Gilded Lime
It's neon green with a metallic gold sheen!

Brilliant Lime

Enchanted Emerald
It's a nice metallic forest green.

Fire in the Sky
This is similar in colour to MAC Kissable Lipcolour in Peacocky. They are both blue with a magenta sheen....which is freakin' fabulous!


Enchanted Sapphire
I was having trouble getting this to apply opaquely. This one colour was a bit stiff.


Plumeria
The formulation of this colour was even smoother than the others, it applied like a dream. This one is supposed to have a shifting blue-green sheen but I only see a bit of a blue shift.


Shifting Violet
This one is supposed to have some shifts to it. I just see metallic purple.

Amethyst
It looks similar to Shifting Violet but is more red-toned.


Blackberry

Plum Crazy
This is a really neat shade. It is almost a purple-y brownish colour that shifts plum and purple and pink. It looks really different depending on what type of lighting you are in. SWEET!


Dianthus


Roses and Violets
It has a nice subtle violet sheen.


Gilded Ballerina
A golden metallic light pink.


Lust After Midnight


Mocha Blast
ARGHHH!! BROWN LIPSTICK! COMING BACK TO HAUNT US FROM THE 90's!!! NOO!!


Platinum Chocolate
This is a really unique colour. The formulation in my sample was WAY different than all of the others. It was really soft and melted onto my brush and applied like a liquid lipstick. It looks NOTHING like the picture on the website.


Gilded Brown
At first, I was all like "OH NO, not brown lipstick making a comeback!" And then I was like, "Hey, this metallic coppery golden sheen over top of a dark brown would look super awesome with a steampunk themed outfit! Cool!"


Clay Bakin'
Um, I can't stand the name of this one. Anyway, it looked way uglier in the clamshell than it looks on. I think it would make a nice nude lipstick colour for someone with a darker, warm, skintone and pigmented lips.

Coraline's Kiss
Damn, I love this colour. It's a wearable pink-y coral with a kick!


And there you have it! I thought that swatching all of these would help me narrow it down to pick out some colours to order in the full size tubes but I like way too many of them! Also, please check out my Safety Alert post for some more information regarding Morgana Cryptoria lipsticks and some safety information for my Canadian counterparts! I'm going to go curl up with a tube of MAC Lip Conditioner now.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, dammit, I think my eyes are too worn out tonight to properly process images. From the haze of signals my poor optic nerve is sending me, however, it seems that I ought to be more interested in Enchanted Emerald. The official swatches are all against such pale, foundationed skin, y'see, and I'd thought perhaps it wouldn't work so well on an otherwise naked face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice swatches! I just got a few samples myself, along with full sizes of Dianthus, Coraline's Kiss and Azalea Blue. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you find the sample lippies? I've received samples in clam jars before (Not from Morgana) and they were super dried out. Are they still creamy, or do you have to warm them up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sample lipsticks were still nice and creamy in the clamshells! It was easy to use a lip brush to pick the colour up and apply it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your swatches are beautiful!!!! LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one to stick the cyber locks up their nose. I really like yours they're so pretty and green. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, some of these are REALLY gorgeous! I am such a sucker for purple, those ones are calling to me... Haha, I kind of like Mocha Blast, too! Maybe it brings back fond associations from childhood :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thanks for doing all these swatches! There's so many that I want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty cool, love gilded ballerina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wish she had more shades that were not sparkly or had no shift to them. Sparkles and shifts just DO NOT suit me. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so creepy, I loved the vein in the swatches. :)

    ReplyDelete