A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day: A Fragrance Post

Happy mother's day to everyone who's a mom out there! I thought I would do a fragrance post today since my own mother is a fragrance conoisseur. She has TONS of different perfumes and has excellent taste in scents! My love of makeup, clothes, shoes, and accessories also comes from my mother, in a way. My mom always dresses nicely, works out, and takes good care of her appearance and she taught me that if you take care of your appearance, you'll always look good and feel good! She would kick my ass if she saw me out in public wearing sweatpants or wearing open-toed shoes with unpainted toenails! ( I do NOT do either of those things, by the way.) I'm not some kind of superficial vain whacko, but I do believe in working out, dressing nicely and being well groomed when in public, and I don't think that a little "help" in the looks department (i.e. makeup, hair dye) ever hurt anyone! I always have fun with my outfits and makeup and I like to excercise and stay healthy! I'd like to thank my mother for teaching me those things! Anyway, today I thought I'd share some of my favourite perfumes.


I really enjoy scents by Juicy Couture; my mom bought me this fragrance pen set (I had wanted some rollerballs so I could bring them in my purse but they got recalled from Shoppers Drug Mart for some reason). These are really easy to take along with you for fragrance touchups! It came with 3 scents:

1) Juicy Couture: has notes of passion fruit, watermelon, tuberose, and vanilla crème brulée.  A lot of people I know think this smells kind of like old lady perfume. I disagree.

2) Viva La Juicy: has notes of wild berries, mandarin, honeysuckle, gardenia, and jasmine. EVERYONE I know loves this one! This perfume is really popular and I can see why. It smells great and girly, but there's nothing too wierd or unique about it so it appeals to a wide range of people.

3) Couture Couture: has notes of pink grape accord, citrus notes, and warm  rich vanilla. I think this one is a bit more "sophisticated" compared to Viva La Juicy; Viva La Juicy is more "fun".

I also like their newest scent which is called Peace, Love, and Juicy Couture. It smells like freshly cut blossoms, sweet apple, honeysuckle, patchouli, and musk. While I do enjoy this one, I'm not sure that I like it enough to buy it. I can't wear perfume to work so I don't wear it often and thusly I try to be more discerning about buying perfume than I am about buying makeup!


Viva La Juicy is my fiance's favourite perfume EVER. As you can see, I have been given this perfume from him in more than one form. He enjoys when I wear it when we go out together. For Valentine's day, he got me this really neat form of perfume that I'd never seen before: it's GEL. It comes in the little dispenser as you can see below.


CHECK THIS OUT! It looks like HAND SANITIZER......but it's PERFUME! I thought this was neat as I had seen perfume shower gels, lotions, rollerballs, and solid perfume but I'd never heard of this before! This dispenser is also great for throwing in your purse and the gel gives off a more subtle scent than the spray so you can wear it during the day!


My personal favourite scent is Black XS. It is a mix of cranberry, pink pepper berries, tamarind flower, hellebore rose, and woody, ambery notes. I just love this one, but I can't really say why. I usually like sweeter smelling perfumes but this one has a bit more spice to it. I just love wearing this perfume!


Here are some old skool old favourites.....Lancome Hypnose eau de toilette and eau de parfum (in the smaller bottle). They have notes of vanilla, sambac jasmine, passionflower, and orchid. I have had the odd person tell me they smell like old lady perfume but I think they are "classic" scents. The eau de toilette smells a bit more fresh and the eau de parfum smells more sweet. I wear these to more "formal" or "family" events. The above perfumes I use when I'm going out to dinner, a club, or a concert for a night out.


And now for the guys.....here are two of my favourite scents for men. Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male and Porsche Design The Essence. Le Male has notes of bergamot, lavender, cinnamon, amber, and tonka bean (whatever that is). The Essence has notes of artical, juniper, blueberry, Russian coriander, pepper, Siberian pine, fir balsam, incense and patchouli. Le Male is kind of a classic, I know tons of ladies who love this scent on their man. The Porsche cologne took me forever to find. I wanted to find a new cologne for the fiance as a gift but I could NOT find a single one that I liked! I smelled every scent for men at every fragrance counter. I had smelled the Ferrari perfume as I thought this would please my car-obsessed other half, but it smelled TERRIBLE. This kind of steered me away from sniffing the Porsche one but it turned out that I loved it! My fiance loves it too!


Some other scents that I am lusting after are Beyonce Heat, Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb (the bottle looks like a pink grenade!) and Miss Dior Cherie. Miss Dior Cherie smells really neat and is nothing like any perfumes that I currently have so I'd go with that one if I ever buy any more perfume.

I'd love to hear about everyone's favourite scents! I don't know very much about perfume, so I'd be very interested to hear what everyone has been wearing or lusting after!

5 comments:

  1. I have a weird preference for wearing men's fragrances (that is, when I actually bother with fragrance). Right now I'm liking some Jack Blacks, and an old favorite of mine is Armani Mania (for men). My sister has Viva La Juicy, though. I wish I could remember the smell. That gel thing is ridiculously cool, though! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rollerballs. They're so convenient! Have you ever smelled the current Harujuku girls Love? It's purple and smells like grapes. I *love* the smell for whatever reason. Another favorite scent of mine is DK Apples. The green and the pink one (it comes in a roller ball). I purchased a 4 mini set and gave 2 to my mom and keep 2 so we'd match. Yeah, I'm a dork like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love BlackXS too, it's a bit sexier than most sweet perfumes. Need to get more some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Lancome Hypnose but really have to be in the mood for it. My go to atm is Katy Perry Purr, I was surprised I like it but then I love apple smells. DKNY Delicious Night is yum and my newest baby is Versense Versace for women it has a really fresh smell with yum citrus notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh such awesome goodies!! This seems like a great deal...Agent Provocateur

    ReplyDelete