A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Friday, June 10, 2011

Silk Naturals Review and Swatches

I have seen so many lovely reviews of Silk Naturals on various blogs in the recent past. Since everything sounded so nice, I placed an order with them a couple of months ago and have been loving what I've got ever since! Here is a review 9 of the 10 eyeshadows that I purchased (one is a gift for a friend so it is not pictured or swatched here).

THE ORDERING

I find that the website is very easy to navigate and when you click on a product, there are swatch pictures, ingredients, information about colour family and shimmer, reviews, and related products. I felt that the swatch pictures and product descriptions were reasonably accurate. It also lists whether the product is vegan and gluten free, which is important for many people.  There is no lip safety information on the eyeshadows, but you can find more information under the "ingredients" tab. Personally, my safety is regulated by Health Canada and from what I gathered from emailing them, they don't really care what I put on my lips! In the United States, however, things are a bit more strict so you would have to look for specific ingredients in the product listing to find out whether or not the product was lip safe. I had no problems with customer service and I received my package very quickly!

THE PACKAGING

Everything was packaged neatly and securely in pretty tissue paper in the mailing envelope. An invoice with my purchases was included which also had ingredient information printed on it. The eyeshadow comes packaged in sealed sifter jars, which is my preference. I enjoy the simple packaging and labelling of their eyeshadows; they come with a label on top of the jar listing the colour name. The label is durable, which makes me happy. There are no stickers on the bottom of the jar listing ingredients or anything which can be a problem for people who avoid certain additives for various reasons. Personally, I do not feel it is necessary to have ingredient information on a product because I do not avoid any ingredients, nor am I vegan nor allergic/sensitive to anything in particular. I prefer to look up the ingredients online if I really need to know. Overall, the packaging looks simple, clean, and professional.

THE HAUL


THE PRICING:

Single eyeshadows contain 3/4 of a teaspoon in a 5 gram jar and are $4.00 US (they would be a little over $4 Canadian). I think that it is a great price for the quality of the product. Shipping to Canada was also very reasonable which is nice! Also, for each $30 you spend, you get to pick a free eyeshadow or lip balm, how awesome is that! You also get a gift with purchase for every order over $10. I got some of their Mineral Glow in Halo Glow to try.

THE PRODUCT:

Here are my thoughts on the eyeshadows I purchased:

THE GOOD: I really enjoy these eyeshadows! The colours are all very pretty and I was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of shimmer in them! The swatches on their website did not show this aspect of the colours as much. The texture of the product is lovely, and they all blend well and apply nicely. They also pass what I like to call "the weekday test." I have a test that I like to do with eyeshadows that involves applying them over UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre in the morning, wearing them all day at work (or for 8 hours or so if they are not work appropriate colours) and then going to the gym/exercising for 1 to 1.5 hours. If my eyeshadow is not yet creased at this point, it has passed. I am happy to say that these passed the weekday test!

THE BAD: My only complaint that I can think of was that the swatch pictures MAY show the eyeshadows over the Silk Naturals primer which can be a bit misleading. I am not sure of this, but it looks like many of the colours show up a bit more pigmented than I was able to get them. It does not say on their website (that I could find, anwyay) whether the swatches are over primer or not. Once again, this is more of a personal thing. I prefer dry swatches as I have a couple of primers that I like and if I don't have the primer shown in the picture, I may not be able to get the eyeshadow to look the way it does in the swatch picture.

THE VERDICT: Overall, I love the eyeshadows that I got from Silk Naturals and I loved the fast shipping! The website has lots of information and is easy to order from. I am very happy with my order and I will certainly be a repeat customer!

THE SWATCHES (DRY)

From left to right: Pink Lemonade, Neuron, Madison, Eerie, Cloudberry.




From left to right: Mineral Glow in Halo Glow, Wired, Watermelon, Shangri-La, Safety.





STUFF I WANT TO TRY: Eyeshadows in Torn Fishnets, On the Rocks, Spellbound, and various others. Various powder blushes. Various cream eyeliners.

AVAILABILITY:



Captain James T. Kirk approves of these.
Stay tuned for a look using Silk Naturals!

14 comments:

  1. Great thorough review and gorgeous swatches! Everything is so sparkly! O_O Mineral e/s are so friggin stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of good things about Silk Naturals as well, but the possibility that the online swatches may be over a primer is a bit of a turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that orange is calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should really try this company, but I usually favor punkier looking indie sites. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also thought I'd come back to add I found this on the site: "All GWP colors are vegan, and safe for use on eyes, lips, and face."

    http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/silk-naturals-current-specials-a-4.html

    Not sure what GWP is, though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. VijiiS- GWP is Gift With Purchase. So I assume they only give out vegan freebies so nobody accidentally uses non-vegan ingredients on themselves without knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I don't have many of their shadows but I found some of the colors are softer than they look in their swatches too. That said, I've still been really happy with everything I've ordered.

    Also, for anyone concerned about ordering for this reason, they do accept returns of things they don't sell samples of (shadows, lippies) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, this is lovely, great review
    I love it!

    Henar ♥
    ... OH MY VOGUE !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh Safety looks pretty! I want to place an SN order so badly but I'm too broke atm :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Silk Naturals. The eye shadows are very sheer for me without a primer, but the "Spurs" shadow is an amazing highlighter. I also love love love their Cleansing Conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome thorough review! I totally agree with you about the primer/swatch thing - I like to see what colours look like without a base, unless the product is poo without a base and the blogger wants to show how it transforms.

    I need to try some of the SN brights, I only have neutrals from when I was on a must-buy-all-the-MAC-dupes spree. D:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I like the look of Neuron and Cloudberry the most. I've never tried this company, I'd like to when I have the money :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't tried this brand yet, but it looks like I'm going to have to at least try Eerie, Wired and Shangri-La! Can't wait to see your look with them.

    ReplyDelete