A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Saturday, September 3, 2011

10-Year Anniversary!

I'm not really a sentimental or sappy kind of person, but I think that this deserves a mention. Yesterday was myself and my common-law husband type of person's 10 year anniversary of being together! We met in highschool in Christian Ethics class which is quite ironic since we are both atheists who were forced by our parents to attend Catholic school. We first started talking as I saw that he had an AFI CD with him and we were some of the very few people in our grade who liked punk/metal/alternative music. We went to practically every single all ages punk show in Regina while we were in grade 11 and 12 and AFI was one of our favourites. When we graduated from high school, we moved to a different city together to go to University and the gentlemen who promoted the all the punk shows said he would miss us coming to all of the concerts because we were so cute so he let us go backstage at an AFI concert that we went to before we left! Here is one of my favourite pictures of us ever.

DO click to enlarge if you can't see my teardrop eyeliner. It really is quite "special" LOL!
OMG! We were so skinny and young looking! We were 17 years old! I used to be thin and have pink hair and wear my eyeliner like a teardrop (oh, the embarrassment!) I have two different collars on and an AFI fanclub t-shirt with safety pins! I'm sitting by Davey Havok! My common law person still had hair to make into a mohawk! He let me put makeup on him! He's wearing long underwear under his clothes because the people on SLC punk did that!


Here we are today. We are older, fatter, balder, wiser(?) and a lot more grown-up looking. I can't believe we've been together for 10 years without killing each other! It's a miracle! Oh my, looking at these pictures is kind of scary. Time is a cruel mistress, just look what happened to us in just 9 years! I fear seeing what we will look like in another 10 years, lol!

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You are so cute together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I also have been with mine forever. We started dating when I was 16, and we've been married 13 years. It's amazing how time flies by when you're with the one you love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I like how you refer to him as your "common law person"! 10 years is amazing! And you guys are a great looking couple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fatter and wiser, hehe. If that's the price of wisdom, I'll take it.

    Y'all are too cute. Gratz on the decade!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You two are definitely cute :) Love the high school pic...I'm not sure I'd want to look at mine :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! 10 years is a major accomplishment, thank you for sharing your story!

    PS - you guys are totally even more cute now. Love that picture

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation!! What a sexy looking couple!;) TEAR DROP LMAO, I remember when I did sht like that in HS, haha. What were we thinking?? Loved the story, dah'ling!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even for the non-sentimental, that's a big milestone :) Congrats on 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a whole decade! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two are precious. I love the group picture and the later on picture.

    Time is pretty strange, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations !!!!!! , you two are so cute together ! :D . I met my "hubbie" (we're not married , but i call him my hubbie) too at school and now after 17,5 years we are still together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwh congrats, y'all are ADORABLE! ^___^ I'm not even an AFI fan but I love Hunter Burgan so LKJAslkjalskfjOMGIT'SYOUNGHUNTERBURGAN

    ReplyDelete
  13. aww congrats! so cute. time is a damn scary thing i reckon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is the cutest ever. :) Congratulations!! You two look really nice in the latest picture. I really love your hair and make up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! You guys look brilliant together!x

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations to you and your love!!! you guys are perfect together :))) may you have 10X10 years more :)) I can totally relate to this post, as my bf and I celebrated our 10 yr anny this past january... we met when I was in high school and we also consider ourselves agnostic/ atheist haha...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think time has been very good to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You make a gorgeous couple, here's to another many ten years together :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhhh super cute! Congratulations you two!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on ten years! You both still look gorgeous (and I used to do stupid eyeliner as well.) Mega jealous that you've met Davey Havok!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww congratulations! What a lovely story :) I like the teardrop eyeliner! You both still look great

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woah! congrats! 10 yrs is a long time to spend with someone esp. when you meet so young! props to you guys.
    And you will prolly look even better in another 10 years! :)
    I kinda like the tear drop thing lol, just cuz of it's symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, you two are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You guys are so cute! I love your pink hair.
    I am jelous of your long time love! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, hush, you two are still adorable together! :D Congrats on your first decade together, and here's hoping for many more! <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. You. Are. Adorable. Congratulations on growing older together and being as awesomely perfect as you two look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on 10 years! Me and my fiance are celebrating 8 years in a month, time really does fly! And my, I have definitely gotten fatter in those years.. =) You look great!

    ReplyDelete