A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Keeping it Classy: Convocation Banquet Look

This look is from my convocation banquet. This was back in June when I finished my second university degree. I didn't even want to attend all of the ceremonies and banquet type things because I had done it before and found it quite boring. However, I DO love a good excuse to dress up and my younger sister was getting her degree in nursing and my parents came so I went. At my class banquet after the convocation ceremony, they always do a bunch of speeches where people go on about all the great times everyone had together. Many times, stories about specific people are mentioned. Strangely enough, I got mentioned in a speech by one of my professors. Basically he said that he wasn't too sure about me when I walked in with a bunch of piercings (I have a trillion earrings which used to be visible when I had a different hairstyle) and a tattoo but then eventually he realized I was a classy lady. Uh....I'm not sure whether I should have been offended or if I should have taken that as some kind of compliment. Are people really that freaked out by tattoos (mine is not particularly visible most of the time) and piercings? They are common in this day and age and I am FAR from being heavily pierced or tattooed (my whole back is done but this is not visible most of the time). Anyway, here was my attempt at looking classy EVEN THOUGH I HAVE TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS OMG!!!!

I used my Coastal Scents 88 Shimmer palette because I was having trouble coming up with a look. One of my makeup strategies is: "When all else fails, CRACK OUT YOUR 88 PALETTE!!! THERE ARE 88 FREAKIN' SHADOWS IN IT, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING!!!!" I also decided to tone it down a bit and wear a sparkly gloss rather than a red lip colour which I was originally going to do.


FACE:  MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

BROWS: Annabelle Eyebrow Pencil in Medium Brown.

CHEEKS: Sobe Botanicals Duochrome Blush in Nouveau (AWESOME NEUTRAL BLUSH!!!)

LIPS: MAC Superglass in Fab Frenzy.

EYES: Base: UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.
Shadows: The circled eyeshadows from the Coastal Scents 88 Shimmer Palette (J6, J7, K5, K6, K7) to create some kind of brown neutral yet sort of dramatic look or something.
Lower Lashline: UD Corrupt.
Upper Lashline: Maybelline Black Liquid Eyeliner.
Waterline: UD Perversion.
Mascara: Maybelline One By One.
Falsies: Ardell Accent lashes in 305 Black.

THE EQUIPMENT




THE LIPS


THE EYES





THE LOOK


THE OUTFIT


Hair Flower: Le Chateau
Earring and Necklace Set: Le Chateau
Dress: Le Chateau
Waist Belt: Le Chateau
Silver Bracelet: it came with my Black XS perfume
Buckle Bracelet: Le Chateau
Studded Strappy Shoes: Spring

I tried to add a couple of goth-esque touches to my outfit (studded shoes, corset waist belt, black rose in hair) while still keeping things classy.  I got a lovely bouquet of black roses from my husband-ish person for my convocation! I'm not a big flower type of girl but I certainly don't mind the odd black rose here and there!

11 comments:

  1. Haha I love your philosophy about cracking out the 88 palette if you're in a makeup rut. Personally, that would make me more confused and stressed so I tend to reach for smaller palettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeee, you look lovely. And BOO Professor Boring! But congrats to you, Ms Two Degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love this look on you! Definitely an un-boring way to wear neutrals, very classy indeed. And your outfit is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous, gorgeous dress! I love the hair flower, too. Congratulations on your second degree! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! That dress looks a lot like what I have been lemming for Valentine's Day (yes, I'm one of those girls who likes to dress up)
    Totally hear you on the annoyance of being judges by a few tattoos/piercings. For the most part people are great about my tattoos and just want to see more since usually just the bottom is visible, but I have gotten some really nasty comments (which have surprisingly been from younger people, though I guess that's my own stereotyping that young people are more "with it")

    ReplyDelete
  6. You looked gorgeous! Very classy but still very you. Um, that's not to say you're not classy all the time... Ahem, those shoes are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look incredible! i love seeing this different side of you, yet it is still so true to your personal style!! simply beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that flower is just so gorgeous...and i love the shoes babe. lol, you know you're a classy broad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, I absolutely adore your style! The hair, makeup, outfit... You are gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fabulous ! I love that dress . I don't wear any dresses , but you look gorgeous in it !

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE love love your style. you might have the best cat-eye liner ever! ^.^
    -Stokely

    ReplyDelete