A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Evil Shades Swatches and Spectrum Pot Review

Quite some time ago, I ordered several things from Evil Shades. They are one of my favourite independent companies. Since they first opened, the packaging has improved and it looks excellent in my opinion. One of the newer products from Evil Shades is the Spectrum Pot. Since I had been wanting to try these out, I ordered one Spectrum Pot along with the Spectrum Palette which contains 5 different colours. Here is my review of this product along with some swatches of lip products and eyeshadows that I purchased.

THE PACKAGING



I really like the idea of the palette with multiple shades in it. It's very convenient and it allowed me to get several colours that I wanted without having them in individual jars. It looks really professional, too.

THE SWATCHES


From left to right: Vitrum, Visible Violet, Photonic Green, Pink Prysm, Absorbed,  Firey Eyes.
(NOTE: The streaks in Absorbed are my arm hairs, not due to the product. GROSS! Sorry.)

THE REVIEW

THE GOOD: I like the packaging, especially the palette! The Spectrum Pots are very versatile in my opinion; I have used them as bases, eyeshadows, and eyeliners. The colour selection is very good; there are other colours available on their website. I feel that they are reasonably priced and are a great alternative to higher end brands that are much more expensive.

THE BAD: The Spectrum Pots wear quite well, but I find that they are somewhat tricky. When they are used as eyeshadows or under eyeshadows, one has to be careful not to apply to much or else they crease a bit. I also find that they "pill" when you layer them on too thickly. I have had similar problems with other bases such as NYX JEP's and MAC Paint pot so these things are pretty standard issues.

THE VERDICT: If you are looking for a coloured base to wear under your eyeshadow, I would recommend giving the Spectrum Pots a try. There is a good selection of colours and the product can also be used as eyeliner or eyeshadow. The product may crease or pill a bit if applied too thickly; however, I find that I have had similar issues with most bases that I have tried. Once you figure out how much to apply, these work very well.

SWATCHES OF SOME OTHER STUFF

DEVIANT LIPSTICK


From left to right: Stormy, More Synth, Mage, Dark Princess, Corset.


More Synth is clear with multi-coloured glitter in it. It's hard to see the sparkles in my swatch pictures but it does look neat when you layer it over stuff.

HARDCORE LIPS AND EYESHADOWS


From left to right: Hardcore Lips: Anastasia and Dragon's Wing. Eyeshadows: Halcyon, Bittersweeet Symphony, and Zombie.

***If my sister is reading this, remember how we used to laugh at the Bittersweet Symphony video? Why was it so funny? The two of us are a bit off, I suppose. ***


From left to right: Zombie Grrl, Danger Sox.
BLUSHES

EVIL SHADES BLUSHES ARE AWESOME, just so you know.


From left to right: Twizted (OMG A BLUE BLUSH!), Pouty, Pink Noise, Kona, Ceylon, Bronze Skies.

LIP AND FULL FACE SWATCHES

Please excuse the full face swatches. My makeup has been on through a workday so it is a bit sketchy. Also, the unique lip colours clash really badly with my worksafe, warm neutral makeup look.  I just look really bizarre when I am wearing "work" eyeshadow and green lipstick, lol!

MORE SYNTH


MAGE




DARK PRINCESS




STORMY




DRAGON'S WING



ANASTASIA



CORSET

This is one of my favourite lipsticks EVER, by the way.





Availability: Evil Shades Cosmetics

DISCLAIMER: All products were purchased by me and my opinions are honest. I am not affiliated with this company in any way. For more information on my disclaimer, click on the BORING CRAP ALERT tab at the top of the page.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Corset looks AMAZING on you! I really like how Stormy looks, too. I recently ordered from them, only 2 things! A lip sample, and a spectrum pot in Padawan. I don't know what you mean by the shadow "pilling" could you explain that to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that palette does look really professional! I want one, now. Rats.

    And the pilling thing - I find that I get that with a lot of bases, too, especially the "glue" type ones like Silk Naturals Stick 'Em, Darling Girl Glitter Glue...those sorts. Haven't tried Pixie Epoxy on my eyes yet - I have that sitting around, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark princess and Corset look fabulous! I'll keep chanting "project 10 pan" for a while in order to resist the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I really like Stormy and Corset, what neat lip colors! And the packaging on that palette is super cute. And I kind of want Photonic Green just because the name reminds me of Star Trek...

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO ONE WEARS GREEN LIPSTICK BETTER THAN YOU!!! EVERRRRR!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is making me impatient for my ES order! I ordered Dark Princess too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! So many lovely swatches. I love the look of Dark Princess and Corset.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oddly enough, I was super chuffed when she released the spectrum pots.... but I've never used mine beyond swatching it.

    I do like her blush. Damn nice blush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The palette looks awesome, definitely much easier to deal with than a bajillion little pots (maybe I'm just bitter that I've run out of room to store them all)

    What's funny about your lip swatches is that the only one that doesn't necessarily work for work (my work) is the green. I would totally wear any of the others and love Dark Princess and Corset the most on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Corset and Dark Princess are my favorites! They look amazing on you. I've never tried Evil Shades, but I actually just ordered some stuff a week or so ago so we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love it when you wear strong or dark colours on your lips!
    Phlox

    ReplyDelete