A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Friday, November 23, 2012

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencils

One of my favourite things about Fall/Winter is the vampy lipcolours! I'm sure many of you agree. Some of my favourite shades for this season come in the form of NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencils.
 
THE PENCILS

 
 
I really love the formulation of these pencils. They have a gorgeous matte finish without looking dry and they wear for HOURS. They come in a wide range of colours and they apply like a dream! NARS also offers Velvet Gloss lip pencils which I have not tried yet if you prefer a more glossy finish.  They are somewhat pricey at $30 CAD but I feel that these are very good quality.

THE SWATCHES

 
From left to right: Dragon Girl, Cruella, Damned, Train Bleu.
 
 
My only complaint about these is that the darker shades (Cruella, Damned, Train Bleu) seem to lean a bit BROWNISH to me. In the 90's when I was a tween and first got my hands on some makeup to mess about with, BROWN lipstick was fashionable.I am pretty sure I recall having a lipstick that was the colour of a terra-cotta flower pot but more brown. *SHUDDER*  All I have to say with regard to brown lipstick is NEVER AGAIN. I think the colours are flattering on me but whenever something seems a little brown-y it makes me freak out a bit!
 
 
Do you see the brown tinge to these colours or am I just losing it? Have you ever the Velvet Gloss pencils? I'd love to hear what you think of them!

6 comments:

  1. You're losing it :P But then, I'm a horrific freak and I love me a brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I have all of these but Dragon Girl and I haven't noticed any brown in them... Maybe it's your undertones peeking through or changing the coloring? I have a couple of the Velvet Gloss pencils, and they're ok. I prefer the Velvet Matte; the Gloss ones are a little tacky and kind of taste metallic when you first apply them. Maybe it's just me... I don't love them, but I certainly don't hate them, either.

    Waaah I can't find Train Bleu, I don't know where I put it :'( This is making me miss it terribly. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Cruella in a couple of years, either... Oh boy. My last several moves have not been good to my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't seem that brown...but perhaps a little bit? Haha I can't tell anymore, I've been staring at my screen too long trying to do some shopping. I hate the holidays, hahaha.

    I do love vampy shades though, and I love matte shades as well. Perfect season for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps it's the light? They are rather warm toned, but I wouldn't call it brown.
    Maybe try adding a cooler pink toned gloss or tinted balm on top?

    I have a revlon lipstick similar to train blue and love it, I really wear it constantly lately :) These look really nice, but for that price I'd love to swatch them irl first and they don't sell nars in belgium..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove Dragon Girl! I had been wanting to pick up Cruella but after reading your review I'll pass. I do not like anything leaning towards brown, I'm already brown myself, yo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uuuugh these are so nice. I got one of the glossy versions free from Sephora and it leaves a weird white ring around my mouth EVERY time I wear it. Do these do that too? I want one but that has made me hesitant!

    ReplyDelete