A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Goth Fashion in the Mainstream

I have heard many differing opinions being expressed lately regarding goth-y clothing in the mainstream. Every now and then, things like spikes or cross jewellery or something of that nature becomes trendy and thus we see these things being offered by mainstream retailers. When this happens, it seems to get a lot of people who are involved in the goth/alternative scene foaming at the mouth for various reasons.  While I think it is slightly irritating that the people who made fun of my clothing in high school are out draping themselves in the same black and spiky styles that I like to wear, in the end I feel that this is not really a big deal. Clothes are just CLOTHES. People should be free to experiment with different styles and trends and at the end of the day, it doesn't make  a difference to who a person is. For example, fashion is part of the reason that I enjoy the alternative music scene but it is NOT the be all end all. I work at a job where there is a dress code and I must keep my appearance conservative most of the time but this does not affect who I am or what I am interested in. There are many people who are a part of the scene who do not dress "goth" or "alternative" at all; in my mind fashion is a fun part of the scene for those who enjoy it but fashion should not define the scene or be used to divide people within it or exclude people from it.  Personally, I am rather PLEASED when mainstream retailers offer goth-esque clothing as it allows me to find clothing I like a lot easier! It also allows me to get away with subtle alternative touches in my wardrobe at work. Another bonus is that it makes clothing of this style more accessible to people where alternative shops do not exist.

Anyway, here is a look for going out in which I used mostly clothing from mainstream stores.

FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

BROWS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud.

CHEEKS: Fyrinnae Seduce.

LIPS: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Train Bleu.

EYES: Base: UDPP, MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.
Eyeshadows: From the UD Dangerous Palette: Mushroom, Loaded, Gravity, Evidence.
Eyeliners: UD Junkie and Perversion, Lise Watier Eye Glitter Liner in Black Orchid, Maybelline Black Liquid Eyeliner.
Mascara: Benefit They're Real!
False Lashes: KKCenterHK

THE EQUIPMENT


THE LIPS


THE EYES



THE LOOK


THE OUTFIT


Top: Le Chateau
Skirt: Powerline
Jacket: Zara
Underbust Corset: Deadly Couture
Purse: Urban Behaviour
Stockings: Ebay
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell

I have been loving the fact that I can go to stores like Zara and find awesome pieces like this black menswear style blazer with spiked epaulettes! SWEET!


How important is fashion in your life? Do you wear certain clothing that identifies you as a member of a specific scene (music or otherwise)? If you identify yourself as goth, what do you think about gothic styles becoming trendy?

12 comments:

  1. I have to agree. Gothy stuff in the mainstream means more choices and easier access for me. I grew up in a rural area that didn't even get a Hot Topic until 2005 - I did my shopping at discount stores and once I was on the internet and working (although I had a teeny tiny salary) I shopped sale bins at Newport News and Victoria's Secret and Venus for black, drapey, lacy, velvety things. And you know what? I still do. It still amazes me what I can find by typing in certain keywords at "mainstream" store's websites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I can find items that are my taste and style more readily available! I don't think my clothing defines me as a goth, it makes me....me! I love when my friend's say "This looks so Meagan". I don't let a scene define me or a label put me in a tiny box. ;)
    I always say: wear the clothes, don't let the clothes wear you!

    You look fabulous, I love your jacket *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very business-goth, it's awesome! Not being part of the culture, I am not the best to comment I know. I don't have a sub-culture that I identify with that influences my style, I just wear things I like. I'm sure some pieces might have some goth-undertones and I appreciate them in a stylistic way and like that I can incorporate it into my own "thing" (whatever my thing is, I don't even know, lol) That said, I was more into the industrial scene in high school and it wasn't ever something I -didn't- appreciate in some way. I promise if we met back in high school, we would have been friends! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! I love your hair and the jacket is very cool business goth style. I agree with a lot of what you said regarding goth (or other alternative fashions) in mainstream. I have no problem with people who aren't part of the subculture wearing clothes just because they're trendy or they like them. But like you I find it very annoying when people who would have ribbed me for wearing something are now wearing it. Also when scene and hipster fashions were in style I had loads of people who dressed in those fashions mocking me when the point of those fashions was meant to be anti-conformist.
    But... basically I don't care :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you found that at Zara - how cool! I am not part of the culture, but I agree that fashion is just fun and it's best to wear what you like and not judge anyone else. Some people seem to have problems with that, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally think people who get upset about certain style of clothes that come in to fashion need to take a long look in the mirror and try to figure out why it is they wear what they do. Are they doing it because they love the style or are they just wanting to be "different"? Often is seems those offended are trying desperately to be special, while those who love the fashion squee over what can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the make up picks! All of UD palettes are soo tempting but I know I wont be getting full use of them if I buy them all! I think the 'bolder' more 'striking' pieces that people used to think would work only for certain occasions are now everywhere. We really shouldn't be too bothered by how others dress themselves, I love black clothes, bold shoulders and spikes too, I don't dress like you but that doesn't change the fact that these are just traits of what we like and it shouldn't give anyone a reason to find it strange or look down upon styles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are the total package my dear! love everything -- from head to toe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally love the fact that gothic items has been found in mainstream stores. It makes it easy to mix and combine and find something cheap. And even if gothic trends gets embraced by mainstream fashion if they're not goth those people aren't likely to continue wearing them but for us we have pieces that will lasts years more of life. I also think it's positive that people have become more accepting of goth (young and old) because they are so familiar of the aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the makeup and outfit! I don't consider myself an "alternative" person, though I've always loved gothic fashion. My style varies quite a lot and can be quite boring, but I like to spice it up with something fun here and there. I'm really weak for all things studded. I'm glad when I can find some goth influenced clothes and accessories in mainstream stores!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the way you used the colors here :) very nice !

    ReplyDelete