A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

HAIR

Today, I shall talk about something that drives me nuts: MY HAIR. Lately, I have been looking a bit awkward as I have been growing out my short hair cut. Since I started this blog I have had an angled bob type of hair cut. The main reason that I got it was that I had grown out my hair almost down to my lower back but had not cut it nor taken proper care of it so it looked rather ratty. Also, I was bored and felt like a drastic change and the haircut also covered my many ear piercings which were a bit of a problem for job interviews.




I think that it looked good on me and suited my face shape well when it was the length shown in the picture above. However, it kind of became a pain in the ass for me to have this haircut. First of all, if I didn't want to look like a shaggy man, it had to be styled a certain way EVERY DAY. You could never just put it up or leave it down. Second of all, it could pretty much only be done in one or two ways. Whether I was going to work, going to the club, or going to a wedding, it pretty much got done the same way. BOR-ING. Thirdly, I like to participate in the goth/alternative music scene and for lots of the events people get quite dressed up. When I wear a complicated outfit, I like to have BIG hair to go with it and it's just not possible with the haircut I have. Also, a lot of hair accessories are too large to wear with shorter hair. I would like to wear my natural hair more often when I go to these events. Finally, I found that a short hair cut is very high maintenance and you have to go get it cut like ALL THE TIME or it looks wrong. If it is too short I look super masculine and when it gets too long it looks funny. In summary, I feel kind of masculine with short hair and I'm just sick of it!

Anyway, when browsing a store last fall this book caught my eye:


I decided the moment I saw it that I was going to finally grow my hair out! I can't wait to try out some of these cute vintage hairstyles, especially victory rolls! I did once try setting my hair in sponge rollers overnight for a certain style in the book, but my hair wasn't quite long enough yet to do it properly but I did some sort of variation on it:


Finally, for the first time in months, my hair is long enough to look half-decent! When you grow out short hair, you spend several awkward looking months in that "between-haircuts" kind of stage! Here is my hair as of April this year:


I have Lord and Cliff fusion extensions in which I often had installed with my short hair as well. I like them because they are subtle enough for me to get away with at work and they require no bleaching/dyeing/maintenance. They are melted to your hair strands and eventually fall out.

In addition to the vintage hairstyling book, I found a retro makeup book as well from the same author!


Have you ever tried any vintage hair styles? Have you ever had to look super awkward whilst growing out a short haircut?

15 comments:

  1. I've kind of always wanted to try retro/vintage hairstyles, but I'm just terrible at doing anything hair related. I can't even put my hair into a ponytail without it being all lumpy. *sigh* I hope you try some of these and post them. I need to live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that is super cute. I'm growing my hair out from a similar angled bob, too, and it's horrible. The awkward stage is HORRIBLE. I just want long hair already! I'm so impatient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your extensions and the curly do, although the angled bob suited you so well! I had that hairdo some time ago and it required so much work, I let it grow out as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the angled bob! And you can always tease it up so it's a HUGE angled bob for Goth events ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took "super awkward" to new levels when growing my very thick hair out of a very short haircut. My head looked like a mushroom for months. And of course this was during my senior year in high school, when lots of photos were memorialized in the yearbook.

    Your hair looks cute with the curls! I look forward to seeing your retro 'dos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love retro hair dos - and they look funnily amazing with goth looks as well! I struggle with styling my hair - I'm much better on other people! - and I found loads of ways to cheat at victory rolls and things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I need those books!! I suck at hair, but I would love to learn vintage styles -- they're so spunky!!! your hair looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last time I grew out my short hair I looked like Willy Wonka, haha! :'D

    I think your hair looks good, the short curls is superpretty and also I love the black and pink combination you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have a pixie cut. I went from mid-back length to pixie cut in one single haircut... fun and easy at first but boring because I couldn't do a lot with it. It was the most difficult haircut I have ever had to grow out. Now that I have my long hair once more I can't imagine ever going short again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to chop all my hair off in grade 9 because I dyed it black and it wouldn't come out again. I don't much remember what it looked like growing out, I must have blocked out those memories hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way your hair looks with the pink in it ! It really spices it up :) Also with the flower , it's so pretty . I change my haircut and color very often , but i always need to style it every morning .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I like your hair longer!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish you good luck with growing out your hair! I think you look good in both short and long hair. It's kinda funny, I just got tired of having long hair and chopped it all off into a pixie a couple of months ago. And I actually feel that I can do a lot more with it now than when it was at shoulder length. But I suck at styling so there is no way I would manage to do any of those vintage hair styles. Last time I let my hair grow out I was a poor student and never went to the hair dresser. So it looked AWFUL for a few months there.. eww.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hair looks great! I really like the pink extensions, it's a nice pop of colour.
    Heheh I definitely know a thing or two about hair growing out all awkward. After I shaved my head I saw the many hellishly awkward stages of growing out hair. Ughh never again!

    ReplyDelete