A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Summer Goth Fashion

I am SO GLAD that fall is fast approaching! I really do not care for summer clothes or hot weather; fall is that nice time where it is cool enough out to wear scarves and boots and nice jackets but not yet cold and freezing and snowing. Right now, it is +30 C (86F) which is REALLY weird for this time of the year, it is driving me NUTS! Anyway, this summer was a good year for clothing, as the whole Nu-Goth thing is kind of in style. This allows me to day-goth without attracting too much attention because lots of people are wearing black and flowing clothing these days. I usually don't have very much in the way of clothing for hot weather but I have certainly built up my stash this year! Here are some of the clothes that I have been loving this summer.
 
MAXI DRESSES
 
A nice, long, black, maxi dress is in style right now and perfect for summer! Luckily, Lip Service makes some with darker touches.
 
 
Dress: Lip Service
 
This one has chains that hang across your front or back (depending which way you wear them) and a sweet skeletal seahorse print! I also like this dress because it is a one-piece, low effort outfit. Sometimes when it is hot and humid out, I just don't have it in me to put on more than one item of clothing (me and hot weather do not mix!)


The dress below has some lacing detail around the waist, hanging ribbons on the straps and a really cool print of a broken arm. I am wearing a bandeau under the dress such that it is not so revealing in the chest.

 
Dress: Lip Service
Bandeau: Guess.
Earrings: H & M.
Necklace: Diabolik (Montreal).
 
CHIFFON SKIRTS

 
Top: Plastik Wrap
Cuff: Le Chateau
Skirt: Forever 21
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell
 
I really love this shirt that I found while shopping in Montreal earlier this year. It is a sleeveless shirt, but the small details make it a bit less casual looking. It has a sheer cowl neck and an asymmetric line with a pointed, printed pocket. The tribal girl print is pretty awesome. The skirt is one of my favourite finds this year. It is from Forever 21 (so it was very inexpensive!!!) and it is super comfortable. It also flows in the wind. SWEET.
 
 
I also will purchase pretty much anything with a cross on it. I need help.

 
Sunglasses: I have no idea, I have been wearing them for like 10 years.
Cross Collar: Forever 21
Top: Forever 21
Skirt: Forever 21
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell.
 
The shoes are another one of my favourite finds this year. I HATE strappy sandals but sometimes it gets too hot out for closed shoes. These JC's look like all-terrain, heavy duty sandals, which I can live with.
 
Anyway, I am glad that I was able to find some comfortable summer clothing that I actually LIKE this year. However, I am DONE with summer, let's bring on fall up in here!!

10 comments:

  1. Love the dress!
    Living in FL where it's hot all the time during the Spring, Summer and Fall, (90 or above) I've gotten to where I hate closed toe shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picks! I agree - sometimes I just can't be fussed to put on more than one piece of clothing, so maxi dresses become life savers. That seahorse skeletal print is so freaking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I love those Jeffrey Cambells! I'm not a full-time PIB by any means but summer clothing in the UK can be really, really vile - blacks, purples and navies are so hard to find. Luckily we've got a goth-grunge thing going on here so I've picked up some really nice grey and khaki maxis - not that we've had the weather for them but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Especially the dress with the seahorse, I do love seahorses (even skeletal ones apparently!) Summer isn't really my cup of tea, either. Though I suppose that expression doesn't work for me because I also don't like tea... Anyway, so excited for cooler weather! I actually ordered some leggings from f21 that have little bones on them and I thought of you as I added them to my cart. If that makes me creepy, I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that seahorse dress and your Jeffrey Campbells. I also have a problem where I buy anything with crosses on. Goth problems!

    I am terrible at summer, so I'm super glad autumn is descending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, I'm *not* looking forward to summer in Australia - yuk!! Cute outfits though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flowy long skirts! I wore plenty of dresses in the summer but they were all shorter and lighter colors! I was very into creams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so darn cute! I am looking forward to fall as well, I hugged my jackets the other day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. UGH I hate summer fashion. I like to layer and be bundled up so it totally doesn't work for me. I wound up dressing kind of similarly- light tank tops, flowy maxi skirts (got an awesome skull print one), spiked sandals, sheer tights/ leggings under shorts/ mini skirts. Most summers I get pretty bummed about fashion but I think I did pretty good this year. It's not easy to look good and goth and stay comfortable.

    So happy it's like 60 degrees right now, another day over 80 with humidity would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where I live, autumn is like that when it comes to temperature, but the wind makes it awful. And I have it worse with my waist-long hair, aaaargh the paaaain when I comb my hair. But since I live in a cold place, spring is still comfortably cold, no hurricane-like winds, and I don't suffer allergies, so spring is my favorite season (except for the bees and spiders :_D).

    ReplyDelete