A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Victory Rolls

As I have mentioned on this blog before, I have been trying to grow my hair out for quite some time. I was wanting to try some vintage hairstyles; however, I am very bad at doing hair. I bought a vintage hairstyling book and it was very helpful as I learned the best hair tip ever: SET YOUR HAIR FIRST. If I set my hair, I find that styling it is MUCH easier. (I have naturally VERY straight hair). For this particular style, I did a wet set using velcro rollers. I washed my hair in the afternoon, rolled it up, and finished drying it with a hair dryer in the evening before I styled my hair. You could also use sponge rollers but you would likely have to leave these in overnight to dry. When you brush out your hair, there should be wide, loose curls in it which gives your hair volume and bend so it will hold its shape when you style it. 
I decided to try victory rolls because I have never been able to do them properly in the past. They turned out pretty decent but were a bit messy, I back-combed my hair a bit too much before I rolled it up. I also added red clip-in extensions to the rolls to make them more visible. I just let the rest of my hair alone after it was brushed out from the rollers. 

WET SET


This is the first picture I have ever posted of myself on here without makeup, by the way! That's what I actually look like without 100 layers of makeup on.

VICTORY ROLLS!


(And a lot of makeup!!)

FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

BROWS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud.

CHEEKS: Physician's Formula Sexy Booster Sexy Glow Bronzer in Light Bronzer.

LIPS: Lime Crime Retrofuturist over NYX lip liner in Hot Red.

EYES: Base: UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.
Shadows: Annabelle eyeshadows in So Foxy, Vanilla Chilla, Buff Naked, and Ebony. L'oreal Colour Infallible eyeshadow in Ultimate Black.
Liners: UD Perversion and Smoke, Maybelline Black Liquid Eyeliner.
Mascara: Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lash Extending Treatment Mascara.
False Lashes: Sonia Kashuk.

THE EQUIPMENT


THE LIPS


THE EYES


THE LOOK


THE OUTFIT


Earrings: some random boutique that is now closed.
Necklace: Batucada.
Bolero: Pinupgirl Clothing.
Dress: Sourpuss Clothing.
Belt + Bracelet: some random accessory store.
Stockings: Ebay.
Bag: also from a store that is now closed.
Shoes: Pleaser.

Have you ever tried setting your hair? What method do you use?

10 comments:

  1. Those look great!

    I am truly terrible at hair. It's fine and straight and I have no skills, so it normally looks like crap. Today I attempted a French Twist, and I swear I could HEAR my hair saying "HA HA HA HA AHA HA no."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! LOVE. I am terrible with hair. I'm not sure why I'm growing it out...I will never do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great! When I was setting my hair (when I had more hair, hehehe) I liked to use hot rollers. The curl of the hair would help with the "roll", so it's basically pinching, rolling and then using my fingers to shape the 'o' of the roll. Hiding the bobby pins and spraying the hair. I found that a very little light weight pomade applied to my hair before rolling would help with fly-aways. I also found that fresh washed hair isn't as great as day-old hair ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 - You look awesome without makeup
    2 - Your hair came out awesome. I have never gotten the hang of fun styles like that :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on doing a successful wet set! Hair, makeup, and outfit looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely even without makeup! And with victory rolls and makeup like a real 50s doll... My hair won't hold a curl for my life's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, gorgeous look - with and without makeup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red looks great on you :). I also love your hair :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete