A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Wedding

 So yeah, I got married! The wedding took place on the 12th of Never, when I always said I was going to get married (aka the end of February). We had a small wedding in the Mayan Riviera in Mexico.  One of the things that I was having a hard time figuring out prior to the wedding was how I was going to do my makeup. Makeup is one of my favourite things and at weddings there is a lot of photography going on so I wanted my makeup to look TIGHT. At first I had this idea in my head of doing some big, sparkly, dramatic thing, but then I reigned myself in. Since my dress was not exactly subtle, I decided that doing too much makeup might be distracting. I also figured I would probably screw it up if it was too elaborate. I finally decided on a fancier version of an everyday look for me so that I would look like myself and not too overdone.

Another thing I considered in choosing my makeup was the fact that I would be outside in sunlight and that flash photography would be used. Since I am not experienced in makeup artistry and have no idea about photos/lighting conditions, I consulted my Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual. I don't care for her bronzy-natural style of makeup artistry but there was a section on bridal makeup and I figured that since she's been in the makeup business for a hundred years she probably knows what she's talking about.

Tips from her book that I found useful:

-do your makeup in natural light if possible
-use two shades of blush (flash photography can wash a person out)
-do not wear sunblock/sunscreen (can reflect flash from camera)
-use MATTE EYESHADOWS as sparkly/shiny ones can reflect light back at the camera (I was very tempted to do something sparkly and shiny but I'm glad I resisted)
-don't wear false eyelashes if you are not 200 percent confident that they will stay on
-do not wax/tweeze brows on the wedding day as they will be red and swollen

The thing I found hardest to choose was what to do with my lips. Unfortunately, many photographers make you kiss a hundred times so this causes difficulty in the makeup department. I wanted either a red lipstick or gloss initially but gloss is high maintenance and gets on other people. Lipstick has to be perfect to look good so I was worried it would get messed up. I also didn't want to have TOO strong of a lip as I usually do heavier makeup on my eyes. I went with an old standby of mine that looks good with everything and gives my lips just enough colour but still looks natural: Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey.

FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

BROWS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud.

CHEEKS: Tarte Park Avenue Princess Bronzer, Too Faced Pink Leopard Bronzing Powder, Illamasqua Sophie Blush.

LIPS: Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey with Black Honey lip gloss over top.

EYES: Base: UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.
Shadows: Annabelle Eyeshadow in So Foxy, Vanilla Chilla, Ebony, and Buff Naked. Inglot Shadows in Matte 342, 349, and 353.
Eyeliners: Maybelline Black Liquid Eyeliner, Geisha Ink Eyeliner, UD 24/7 liners in Perversion and Midnight Cowboy.
Mascara: Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lash Extending Treatment Mascara.

THE EQUIPMENT


HAIR ACCESSORY:


This was a DIY. The lady who made my dress gave me one of the sequined appliques and I glued a bunch of crystals and feathers to it that I bought on ebay and stuck it in my hair.

THE SHOES


I wanted to wear some super cool shoes with my dress; however, things did not go as planned. These lovely Hades Amina shoes would be perfect....or so I thought. They were a bit snug to begin with, and for some reason my feet were kind of swollen while we were in Mexico and I COULD NOT get my feet into them! Also, the main jewel on the back fell off and they were getting caught in my skirt....fail! Thankfully, I brought my "plan B" shoes as I call them. They are a plain, black, comfortable, peep toe pump that goes with EVERYTHING. I have had them for years and I crack them out when I just don't have the right shoes because these almost always work. We also had to climb on a bunch of rocks to take photos, so it was probably for the best in the end that I didn't end up wearing these.

THE WEDDING



Years ago, a complete stranger came up to me out of the blue upon seeing my tattoo and said, "You're certainly going to regret that when it's hanging out of your wedding dress!!!" I don't know why, but that just really pissed me off and stuck with me all these years. Mind your own business, people! (Also, thanks for making the incredibly sexist assumption that it is every women's dream to get married someday.) Just so you know, random lady, my tattoo hung out of my wedding dress and EVERYONE SURVIVED THE EVENT. Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.


OMG A TATTOO


In the picture below you can see some of the neat details on the dress.


Hair accessory: DIY
Dress: Sweet Carousel Corsetry
Necklace: quintessentialbling (ebay)
Shoes: Steve Madden


The photographer managed to capture me and my sister's true colours. I loved her orange dress, it went perfectly with the tropical bouquets. I had always envisioned black roses or something, but I figured we're by the ocean, why not throw in some tropical colours!

DERRRRRRRRR


I was quite irritated that the photographer made us kiss a thousand times, we are not really PDA kind of people. I only included the below picture because you can see my makeup in it.


I was happy with how my makeup turned out. I was glad that I wore natural-looking false lashes, wore more than one blush, used matte shadows, and skipped the sunscreen. I was also very glad that I didn't do any makeup that I hadn't done before or used any products that I hadn't used a hundred times before; this made doing my makeup stress-free and I didn't screw it up. I wish I would have brought some of my lip colour with me for touch ups after all the bloody kissing but I am glad I wore a low-maintenance shade as it didn't get messed-up looking for the photos.

Overall, the wedding turned out excellent! We had a great time in Mexico with our families and friends. I was super nervous about the whole thing as I am not really a "wedding person" but thankfully it all went well!


If you go over to the lovely blog Stay Beautiful, she has been sharing some great tips about wedding makeup here and there. I can't wait to see how she does her makeup for her wedding! Do you have any tips/words of wisdom about doing bridal makeup? Do share!

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations! The photos and makeup turned out lovely! I especially love your dress though. It was put together really well. Also the tattoo only added to how awesome the you look :P That stranger was silly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats and you both look AMAZING!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHHHHHH! THIS! THIS! Congrats darling gal! You two look FABULOUS! WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you looked fabulous! My sister did my make up. Mostly drug store makeup, but eh. It was very low budget, but still nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dress! Congratulations! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't finish reading before I left a comment. That tattoo completely worked with the dress and the look on your husband's face is everything. You look like a million bucks and I got weepy reading this. I've read your blog for so long it was like a friend getting married in a way- congratulations to you! Love the black accents, your edgy eye makeup, the sweep of your hair, the black tulle...dying- all of it. Much love to you and your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG CONGRATS! You look beautiful! And I just loved your dress, the black, white and the colorful flowers are unconventional but sooo great against the monochrome and the beautiful blue ocean! I'm so glad that you got that off your chest, whoever said that to you should be ashamed of themselves! I think your husband and yourselves entire look on your special day was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratuliations on getting married with the love of your life! Not only do you two look incredibly happy, you also looked amazing in that dress! Do never let one stupid comment put you down, flaunt your tattoo whenever you want!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! You looked lovely on your wedding day, and screw the tattoo insults, I think it looked especially beautiful in the black and white picture :) I have had people say the same about my tattoos once, even the mother of the bride when I was a bridesmaid once freaked out about how we were going to cover up my 'problem area'!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww You look stunning!! What a beautiful couple you are!! Congratulations to you both!! A very good match indeed :)
    The dress is so lovely! I think you did the right thing with the bouqet. The tropical scene in the background and the colourful flowers match so well with the clothes, black flowers would have toned down it, so great choice.
    The tattoo is awesome! It doesn't spoil at all! Oh, I'm glad that I saw this photo because I'm thinking of doing something huge on my back....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!

    Your dress was lovely, and frankly I think the tattoo added to it. They went together somehow. I'm sure that's not always the case, and I'm sure there are brides who are forced to alter their dress choices due to a tattoo...but that is none of anyone's business and people need to think before they speak.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! You looked absolutely gorgeous. That dress is to die for (I think my dream wedding dress would look quite similar, but probably in grey/black). Congratulations! And I must say I find that the tattoo looked amazing with the dress. It's like it was part of the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHEEEEERR CONGRATULATIONS!!! You look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!!! That dress is stunning. I love everything about it. Before you said anything about the tattoo, I was thinking "wow, that tattoo looks amazing". lol so the stranger was definitely wrong

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! :) Both you and your husband look amazing and very happy. And, WOW, what a dress! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. ahhhh congratulations!!! You look stunning! the dress is beautiful and make up is on point!! I'm glad everyone survived the wedding even though the tattoo :P haha! I think your tattoo looked lovely with the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. CONGRATULATIONS ! You guys look so stunning ! Your dress is just fabulous and the makeup is nice too !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! Your makeup was stunning - so beautiful! And your dress is so awesome! And OMG random people who say shit - why can't they mind their own business? Who asked you for your stupid opinion anyway? I would have been so pissed. YOU SHOWED HER. It looked beautiful blooming out of your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your married-ness! I love everything about how you looked, including your tattoo (which in the black and white picture I mistook for fancy detail on the dress) And ngl if I ever get married (and I don't think I will) I will cut a bitch if they make me take kissy pictures. I hate it, too :x At least you guys made yours look super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I'm a little late to the party, as this is my first time coming across your blog for a completely different reason. You looked fantastic! The dress was beautiful, as was your makeup & your tattoo. Anyhow I absolutely love the way your tattoo is fanning out of your dress. I don't think the dress would have looked that good without it. It works so well, meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful dress! You look stunning!

    ReplyDelete