A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Monday, September 29, 2014

Worksafe Monday: Clinique

Happy Monday!!! 

When I go to work, I always coat myself with as much makeup as I possibly can without risking being fired as it helps me get through the day. However, I am often negligent about wearing lip products; many lip products are unforgiving and require touch-ups and some days I barely have 2 seconds to run to the bathroom so this doesn't really work for me. However, I have found a shining, lovely, wonderful Holy Grail worksafe lip product. May I present to you:

CLINIQUE ALMOST LIPSTICK IN BLACK HONEY

Sorry for the anti-climactic crappy quality photo!!
It is just super! It won't get me fired!! It is sheer and doesn't bleed! It fades naturally and even stains a bit to keep my lips visible when I am super washed out at 6:30 am!!! It has BLACK in the name!!!! ***angels sing***

AHEM. Anyway,I have a double-ended version of the product that has both the lipstick and the gloss. I love how the lipstick, while being very sheer and natural looking on, looks BLACK in the tube! It makes me feel like I am super cool instead of a boring employed responsible adult.

OOOOOH BLACK!!!
Apparently, this is one of Clinique's best-selling products and I can see why. I think this would look great on a wide variety of people and it is just one of those things that perks up your look if you be lookin' like s**t ran over twice (we all have those days!)

Since I was shopping at the Clinique counter, I thought I would try out some of their Chubby Sticks. The only reason I wanted to try them is because of their egregious names. (I initially read about them in this blog post. I enjoyed the polite reference to "chili that has already been consumed.") I picked the following two because I thought they had the most terrible names. May I present to you:

CHUNKIEST CHILI AND HEFTIEST HIBISCUS


Now I know this has been said before but WTF is with these names???? (Some other real winners are Two Ton Tomato, Woppin Watermelon, Oversized Orange, Pudgy Peony, Portly Plum, Fuller Fudge, Oversized Orchid.....GOOD LORD!!!) 

When I put on makeup, I want to feel AWESOME. I know the name has nothing to do with how a product makes one look, but being that I am a makeup addict, the packaging and nomenclature of products is a big deal to me. That's why I like wearing lipsticks such as MAC Lady Danger, Strong Woman, and Rebel....these names make one feel confident and mysterious and bad-ass (even when you are super boring and watch Judge Judy for fun like me.) When I wear my Clinique Chubby sticks, am I supposed to feel like an oversized, portly, hefty, chunky ol' bowl o' chili!?!? GAH!!! NO!!! NOT that there's anything wrong with being a less than petite woman, as I am not exactly svelte myself, but the word choice here is less than flattering.

OLD PICTURE: WEARING HEFTIEST HIBISCUS


Crappy names aside, Heftiest Hibiscus is a nice, bright shade to spice up my work makeup. I find it is quite long-wearing as well. Chunkiest Chili has a softer formula and bleeds and slips around a lot more so it isn't my favourite for work.

Have you tried these? What do you think of the names?

PLEASE NOTE THAT I BOUGHT ALL OF THIS STUFF LAST YEAR. AT THIS TIME, I HAVE NOT BOUGHT MAKEUP FOR 8 MONTHS!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I usually have the exact same issue with wearing lip products at work - no time for frequent touch-ups! (or lunch, or bathroom breaks, or even a drink of water...). This sounds like the perfect solution! I'll keep an eye out for it.

    Congrats on no makeup shopping for so many months!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this shade. I have the Almost Lipstick in Black Honey stashed in my desk drawer at work. I haven't tried the lip gloss yet though. I love Clinique skin care products just as much. The Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion is a must have

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congrats on 8 months of no buying! I don't think I have the will power to do that! I've heard so much about that black honey shade, it's actually a super wearable wine shade! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard many-a-whisper about black honey...Maybe I should try it..

    Oh man, I totally get you on the names thing. Names can put me off buying things. Biggest example that comes to mind is NARS. I don't want someone to ask me what blush I'm wearing and have to embarrassingly mutter 'sexually climactic pun' that brings to mind all sorts of imagery that no one really wants associated with their face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am apparently the only person on Earth who doesn't look good in Black Honey. It's hugely disappointing to me, because I love the feel of the product (and the idea of it) but it just looks HORRID. I am apparently the only person on Earth who breaks out using Clinique foundation too.

    But congratulations on no makeup buying! That's a huge deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does the black honey look worn? Is it very black/grey or more subtle?

    ReplyDelete