A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

NAIL STUFF

Hello there, today I thought I would post about some nail stuff that I have been using. Please ignore my dry hands and cuticles, I refuse to wear hand lotion because it feels gross!!! When my hands get really dry in the winter, I will put some cream on them under moisture gloves over night but I CANNOT STAND the feel of lotion on my hands during the day.

OPI EXCUSE MOI!


FINGER PAINTS GEL POLISH in ROCOCO ORANGE 


For this I used a gel polish with one of those little at home curing lights (I will talk about that in a post later). I also tried to use nail striping tape. I have no fine motor skills so it was HARD! 

CIATE VERY COLOURFOIL MANICURE


My friend gave me this kit as a birthday present and I LOVE IT. It is actually very easy to do (I suck at doing nails despite my best efforts!) and it looks really neat; it has a really neat "under glass" sort of look when you put a clear top coat over it. 

Base nail polishes are OPI Black Onyx and Sally Hansen Canary Diamond Chrome.
CIATE CAVIAR MANICURE


I REALLY love the textured effect of the caviar manicure. Unfortunately it does not last very long. Below is a picture of my nails a couple days later. I would recommend doing something like this for a special event because it looks so cool but not for everyday wear.

Blue nail polish is Revlon Chroma Chameleon Cobalt.
GEL NAILS


For my wedding last year, I got gel nails. I had them for about 3 months and had them done twice. My second manicure was a french manicure with white tips and a black tip on the ring finger. I really loved them, they never broke or chipped despite me not being careful AT ALL with them. I thought it would be hard to adjust to having them but I actually barely noticed them. You can also get clear ones done so that you can use different nail polishes like on your natural nails. They recommend that you get them filled in every 4 to 6 weeks as they grow out (I would say you could get away with 6 to 8 weeks depending on the person). There are a few bad things about them as well.  First of all, they are EXPENSIVE. It is not as bad to get them filled in, but if you want to change the colour and keep them up it gets rather pricey every 4 to 6 weeks. Also, I HATE going to the spa/getting my hair done/any sort of appointment for beauty-related things because it is SO TIME CONSUMING. Some people like the whole hair appointment/getting your nails done thing, but I just find it to be rather tedious. Also, it is true what they say about it ruining your natural nails. They file them RIGHT DOWN to get the gel to stick. It was pricey to get them removed so I did it myself and accidentally ripped chunks of a couple of my nails off in the process. It took me about 6 months to fully re-grow my nails again. My nails aren't that great to begin with so having thin, brittle nails for 6 months was less than ideal.

Have you ever had gel nails/acrylic nails/fake nails? What did you think of them?

4 comments:

  1. I've had both, done by myself. I wasn't a fan...I was too aware of them and didn't feel comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never tried gel nails because my nails are thin and bendy at their best. I think removing gel would kill them totally... The glass nails are intriguing, I should try that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had acrylics a couple of times. My nails are really weak and ridgey and ugly, so I was keen to try it out. The first time, I was in my second semester of college. The manicurist really just didn't want to bother with me. She kept talking over my head to her regular customers and salon staff, and didn't pay any attention to what she was doing. The tips she put on were way too small and pinched. I didn't bother with a fill in. I just got them removed. She couldn't be bothered with that, either. She made one of the junior hair stylists do it, while she "squeezed in" a regular in my appointment slot.

    The second time was my last semester of college. I went to a nails only salon, and damned if I didn't pick a winner again - this girl did wonderful nails, but was a total flake. She used a thinner, less goopy system and I loved those nails! Too bad she couldn't bother to come to work and thus got fired. So her boss removed those and re-did me the usual way. I managed two fill-ins before she got pregnant and closed the salon. :/

    For years after college I went to a colleague's mom for regular, plain manicures with polish. But I've never attempted fake nails again, and can't see me doing so. I just have bad luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ciaté kit looks very interesting. I have no clue of how to make the nails look like this, it is like a crackle polish?
    Thank you about your opinion on gel nails, it made me change my mind about them. I have been considering to do gel nails but now I think it's better to keep them natural.

    ReplyDelete