A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Friday, September 11, 2015

Don't Fear the Crop Top

*For your amusement, please feel free to sing the title of the post to the tune of "Don't Fear the Reaper" with plenty of cowbell in the background*

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you have likely read various posts in which I whine about the lack of summer clothing options that I deem flattering to my body type. Whilst perusing various mainstream fashion stores over the last couple of years, I realized that the crop top has come back into fashion; immediately upon becoming cognizant of this fact, I uttered a single, "F***." I figured it was just one more item of clothing that is better suited to those with a different body type than I and I immediately ruled them out as a summer wardrobe option.
One day, when I was shopping at my favourite store Le Chateau, I decided to try one on for sh*ts and giggles. I discovered that I actually do quite like how they look when paired with a waist high, somewhat structured and not-too-clingy midi skirt. One cannot even see any exposed skin when I am walking around unless I bend over or something (you can see a bit of skin in the outfit picture due to how I am holding my hand on the skirt). I thought wearing a crop top would make me look quite exposed and indecent but it turns out that they can actually provide full coverage if I wear them a certain way. I think it is neat to change up the usual proportions of my outfits as I usually wear long tops. My husband, however, is not as impressed. He HATES high-waisted clothing on women with a passion for some reason!
I wore this floral-themed outfit to go visit some botanical gardens on a day off. 

FACE: MAC Prep and Prime, MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC15, MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.
BROWS: MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Stud.
CHEEKS: MAC Azalea Blossom Blush
LIPS: MAC Victorian.
EYES: Base: UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.
Shadows: MAC Vex, Beautiful Iris, and Parfait Amour. My Pretty Zombie Cosmetics eyeshadow in Mad Cow. Sugarpill Birthday Girl Chromalust. Voulez-Vous, Lap Dance, and Birthday Suit from the Too Faced Boudoir Eyes Palette.
Liner: Geisha Ink and UD 24/7 Liner in Psychedelic Sister. 
Mascara: Clinique High Impact.

THE EQUIPMENT


THE EYE


THE LOOK


THE OUTFIT


Hair clip: Metal Majesty
Top, Skirt & Earrings: Le Chateau
Bracelet: Came with some perfume 
Shoes: WM

ACCESSORIES


Would you wear a crop top? What would you wear it with?

5 comments:

  1. You look great! :)

    My torso is so long, crop tops are more like sports bras on me. :P So not a good look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wearing a crop top right now! Yeah I wear them all the time with high waisted stuff. It's pretty much all you can buy these days. People used to protest the high waisted stuff, but I feel like that's all you can buy these days. Never see low rise stuff anymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing about crop tops - that they could actually work on me, with a high-waisted something. BUT my husband agrees with yours - he doesn't like the high-waisted look much, except maybe a pencil skirt. Haha! Not that he's particularly passionate about it, but if asked, he just says he prefers something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not into crop tops but simply because my torso is rather stout (or short) and I feel that they enhance that. I look like a pair of obscenely long legs with a teeny-tiny upper body when I wear them... o.O

    But with your better proportions, this looks good! And even work appropriate, you are right!

    ReplyDelete