A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Monday, April 18, 2016

Worksafe Monday: Blending in and Standing Out

Recently, I have seen a few bloggers that I follow being kind of apologetic for looking "normal" in some of their outfit posts. Unfortunately, depending on your job and life circumstances, many of us are forced to look like "functional adults" on a regular basis due to the various constraints of society. Whether you like it or not, alternative fashion is just not acceptable in a lot of circumstances and many people have a lot of misconceptions about those who choose to dress differently. I would LOVE to start every day wearing fishnets and blue lipstick but doing so would destroy my job prospects so that is just not going to happen in the real world.  
When I attend club nights, events, concerts, and music festivals, I dress however I want and can freely express myself through my clothing. When I go to work, not so much. I have always loved clothing and the way I dress affects my mood so I have tried to find ways to keep my work outfits at least somewhat interesting. One way that I like to do this is take a perfectly generic outfit formula such as conservative sweater + pencil skirt + scarf + tights and then do something unexpected with it such as wearing 3 contrasting colours at once. What I am trying to say with this outfit is, "I am professional and employable BUT JUST A LITTLE BIT OFF. I am quite functional and conservative but I AM KIND OF NOT ALL THERE." Perhaps this is not quite the message that one should be trying to get across with their work attire.....

ACCESSORIES

Old scarf that I found in my closet, Silk Naturals Doll lip stain, Hillberg and Berk earrings.
I always have to roll my eyes at people who look at me funny when I am not dressed in a socially acceptable manner. IF THEY ONLY KNEW HOW BORING I TRULY AM! I am actually a fairly conservative person who is careful with my finances and takes my job very seriously. I am married with two cats. Some of my favourite hobbies are gardening and reading. *YAWN*

OUTFIT


Sweater: DKNY
Skirt: H & M
Tights: Target
Shoes: Le Chateau

Do people ever get the wrong idea about you because of how you dress?

6 comments:

  1. You are so right! I need to tone down to be respected at work. I work at a rather conservative workplace, so dressing "too goth" is out of question. You look professional but a little edgy, exactly how I prefer to dress as well!

    There is a German campaign to show selfmade stuff you wear everyday on each Wednesday. I think I might participate, so you can see the boring stuff I wear day to day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I work a corporate job at a multinational company, and I'm not sorry for toning it down. There's a time and a place. Though I probably push it further than most. I don't think I could live with myself if I was too corporate now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked in corporate America for YEARS and had to be conservative, couldn't have fantasy colored hair, etc. On the weekends, it was MY time and I was okay with this. I have been working at my current job for over 3 years and though I could dress more 'goth', I am selling retro clothing and tailor my look to reflect what I am selling. My bosses don't care how I look, but I am still a professional and respect the industry that I work in and dress the part.

    We are all still our own person, just have to dress appropriately for each part of our lives. This is what adults do ;) But, I still get "OMG, I'm shocked YOU work here, shouldn't you be working at Hot Topic" Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *drops mic* Amen, sister. Amen. I agree with all of the posters before me; and will add, there's always a way to "funkafy" or "gothafy" ones work outfit without being over the top. Mixing off beat colors, fun accessories, and a scarves -- like you are doing here -- is how I tend to jazz up my outfits. And shoes. Crazy colored or printed shoes. There's nothing more fun than an all black outfit and blood red shoes! Meeeoooow!

    With that said, I love the scarf color on you! Is it berry? It really brings out your beautiful eyes. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. There is a time and place, but people also shouldn't presume to know everything about you based on casual assessments. Scientists in general tend to be, uh, not very fashion forward, so I probably stick out like a sore thumb because I wear makeup and dresses, but hey. So long as I'm professionally attired and carry myself as such, no one can really say anything to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit.. I love that pop of bright blue on the legs and that lovely scarf :)
    The skirt is really lovely as well :)
    I find it really sad that society these days forces people to "hide" away who they really are... it is not the clothes, the makeup etc that show the world who we really are.. it is the way we act.. I have a lot of friends who gets judged by the way they look and in real life these friends are the best friends you could ask for and wonderful humanbeings..
    I have "normal" dressing friends.. well normal in societys eyes.. and they are not so nice people...
    It is as I said not the clothes or the makeup that show the world who you really are.. it´s your heart, soul and actions!
    xx

    ReplyDelete