A Closeted Goth Girl Trying to Make it in the Professional World

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Garden Tour + Gratuitous Garden Photos

Well, it is pretty much the end of the gardening season. Lots of my plants are still alive as we can have some fairly mild weather around here in October but it is getting colder and colder out each day. There is no more yardwork to be done; it is time to figure out what died/went wrong this year and plan for next year. Earlier this summer, since I am apparently as exciting as an 80-year old, I went on my city's annual garden tour. Basically, they give you a map and you drive around to see the fancy gardens that were selected for the tour. WOW, some people put some MAJOR work into their gardens! It was really neat to see other people's ideas and creativity when it comes to plants. When I am retired, my goal is to have a garden fancy enough for the garden tour!

EQUIPMENT

Earrings and Necklace: DeUno
OUTFIT FOR CREEPING IN OTHER PEOPLE'S YARDS


TOP and SKIRT: Express
CROCHET SHAWL THINGER: Simon's

PICTURE OF A NEAT BUTTERFLY 
FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S GARDEN


SOME PICTURES FROM THE GARDEN THIS YEAR

(Please pardon the lack of cropping, especially since my husband can't seem to get out of the freakin' way when I am taking plant pictures. My phone would not let me transfer photos to my computer so I could fix them up properly.)





I finally got a gargoyle for my garden (see above). Also, I grew a prickly pear cactus! I was quite excited about this until a few weeks ago when I found it to be DEAD!! It appeared to have rotted due to excess moisture....I was quite ticked off as I even used special draining cactus soil and DID NOT put a drop of water on the thing all summer. My husband determined the cause of death.....apparently my neighbour's downspout drains right down the side of his lawn and pools RIGHT behind my little cactus bed. I did not realize this. DAMN. (Note that this person did not mean to do this, it just happens to be how his yard drains and it was particularly rainy at the end of this summer).


Another gardening fail: I killed almost everything in the purple and silver-themed pot below. That's what you get when you put full shade begonias in the sun. I will have to redesign this container for next year.



We had a vegetable garden this year for the first time. It went pretty well but I will make some changes so things will be more efficient next year. My husband made the raised garden beds out of the pieces of our old fence (some impaired idiot had a car accident and the front end of his vehicle blew through our fence a few years ago). We had kale, lettuce, and swiss chard for salads all summer as well as carrots, radishes, strawberries, chives, basil, green peppers, peas, jalapeno peppers, and habanero peppers. 


We got a lot of tomatoes so I made big batches of salsa to freeze. I also used jalapeno and habanero peppers from the garden for this.


Because we had so many green tomatoes at the end of the season, I decided to pickle them. My grandma used to make them when I was a kid and I LOVED them. I haven't had them for YEARS, we shall see if these turned out. I used fresh dill heads and habaneros from the garden to make these.


We also got a pumpkin to grow! It is being stubborn and will not turn orange but I am going to carve it anyway, what the hell.


Did you do any gardening this year? Have you ever tried pickled green tomatoes?

3 comments:

  1. Wow those are some amazingly well designed containers! I wish I had some green space... But alas, NYC. The idea of a garden tour is amazing though. What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg your garden is doing sooo well! The unstable humid and hot weather in singapore makes it impossible to grow temperate types of plants which I'd love to grow but we have plenty of tropical plants that do well in the sometimes dry and also muddy soil. I've been doing pickling of raddishes and carrots to make vietnamese sandwiches! I've eaten green tomatos when I was younger and I love them in sandwhiches. I haven't pickled them but I would love to grow them, it's terribly hard to grow tomatos here but I will give it another shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, like the idea of pickled green tomatoes. Mom's willing to try them too, since we still have some on the vine that likely won't ripen by Friday.

    ReplyDelete